Photo

The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

Bass Movies Bass Movie Measurements Deep Bass Movies Bass Waterfall Graphs Bass Graphs

• Please log in to reply
3872 replies to this topic

#661 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

Hey folks,

After I get The Lord of the Rings Trilogy done (this weekend), there will be a hiatus in measurement for a while, due to personal reasons (lots going on in the next two months). Things will get back to normal in Early May.

Also there will be a change in the Ratings system.

Once I get enough Z-weighted SPL data, the Level and Dynamics categories will be re-done, to be based on RMS, Peak and LeqZ. Extension will still be based on the PvA graph, and the rating system will then be mature. The first post will be updated when this happens.

I knew the Level and Dynamics criteria would have to change, if you remember the FFT bin-width discussion early on in the thread. With Brave, Abraham Lincoln:Vampire Hunter, and others (Sin City comes to mind, with not so good PvA, but good SPL). Battle:LA also. There could be more 5-Star pictures because of this. There are many films that have '2-3 Star' Level Ratings that seem to be unfair, and that could be amended with the change.

In the interim, get your systems set up for scene-caps and help Bosso out! Lots of films here only have PvA graphs. Post your difficulties with scenecaps own the tutorial thread in order to help others that may have the same issues...

JSS
  • Braifaraglisp likes this

#662 dominguez1

dominguez1

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:31 AM

Max and Dominquez1, are you watching the Bluray version?

Yes, Bluray version.

#663 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

I see that the poll says to give Skyfall 5 Stars for Execution, and Buy over rent.  While I personally would rate it at 4 Stars for Execution, the poll numbers will go into the ratings, making it an Overall 4.75 Star Film.

Now, onto more Lord of the Rings.

The Two Towers BluRay Extended Edition:

Level - 3 Stars (108.68dB composite)

Extension - 3 Stars (15.1Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (31.93dB)

Execution - 4 Stars - I think this release was robbed.  I may measure the DVDs to compare, as I remember this being a more powerful bass film.  But, it is 11 years old.  An old PvA (see attached) of the DVD version I ran before rolloff compensation shows strong 20-50Hz content, with 10Hz being only -6dB.  But I simply do not view these films much anymore.  The colorist changes and digital highlights, while novel at the time, are way too 'in your face' when seen now.  The CG visual effects are still good, but I can only take so much of Gollum, Frodo and Sam before I have to fight the urge to vomit. 

Overall - 3.75 Stars

Recommendation - RENT.  If you have the DVD Extended editions, I think the audio in them is better, at least for this film.  

JSS

Attached File  LOTR-TTT-EXT-PvA.PNG   74.4KB   2 downloads

Attached Files

#664 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King BluRay Extended Edition: (updated 03-29-15)

Level - 4 Stars (111.64dB)

Extension - 3 Stars (18Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.94dB)

Execution - 4 Stars - Again, compared to the DVD, this release is left wanting.  Another PvA from DVD to compare attached.

Overall - 4 Stars

Recommendation - RENT.  For reasons stated in LOTR TTT post.  This release was gutted.  Too bad.  Probably another pandering to the lowest common denominator by 'home mix' technicians with 88dB sensitive monitors and no ULF capability.

JSS

post-17-0-22469600-1427634285.png

Attached Files

#665 Japandave

Japandave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

Have you set up SpecLab yet? That would be proof-positive. Lemme know if I can help. With your Oppo, it should really streamline things.

JSS

Not yet, been pretty busy lately.

#666 bmoney

bmoney

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

I would like to nominate monsters inc blu-ray. I know you will be busy but maybe someone can add it. I don't have the equipment to test them or do screencaps otherwise I would help out all the time

#667 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

I'll add it to the queue.

JSS

#668 Infrasonic

Infrasonic

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

"but I can only take so much of Gollum, Frodo and Sam before I have to fight the urge to vomit."

Glad I'm not the only one. ;)

#669 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:06 AM

Don't get me wrong, first 1-2 times you see the films, it is good stuff.  But after a few views, the 'chapter forward' button gets pressed to get to the real action.  There are fanedits out there that just keep 'the good stuff'.

Bonus from this past weekend, The Expendables 2 (7.1 DTS-HD MA):

Level - 4 Stars (110.94dB composite)

Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (27.84dB)

Execution - 3 Stars by poll.  Didn't see this one entirely, busy doing other things, but essentially a throw-away action movie with the action stars of yesteryear. I hated the first one, prob would not like this one, but had some decent low end.  Not enough for me to want to watch the whole thing, though.

Overall - 4.25 Stars.

Recommendation - RENT by Poll.

JSS

Attached Files

#670 Japandave

Japandave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Just watched HTTYD and good lord, that movie shakes the entire structure. I am going to have to watch it at reference and get the real effects of it now.

#671 Madaeel

Madaeel

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

Don't get me wrong, first 1-2 times you see the films, it is good stuff.  But after a few views, the 'chapter forward' button gets pressed to get to the real action.  There are fanedits out there that just keep 'the good stuff'.

Bonus from this past weekend, The Expendables 2:

Level - 3 Stars (263dBHz)
Extension - 5 Stars (6Hz)
Dynamics - 4 Stars (26.4dB)
Execution - Will be added to the poll.  Didn't see this one entirely, busy doing other things, but essentially a throw-away action movie with the action stars of yesteryear. I hated the first one, prob would not like this one, but had some decent low end.  Not enough for me to want to watch the whole thing, though.

Overall - TBA Poll results.

Recommendation - TBA by Poll.

JSS

Well that's some good news since I'm waiting to watch this in my theater because it's one of the very very few releases in 11.2. Hated it that much huh Max? I figured the action made up for the complete lack of acting and predictable plot. Guess not haha.

#672 djbluemax1

djbluemax1

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

Well that's some good news since I'm waiting to watch this in my theater because it's one of the very very few releases in 11.2. Hated it that much huh Max? I figured the action made up for the complete lack of acting and predictable plot. Guess not haha.
For what it's worth, I hated the first one too. Story was blech and the editing made me nauseous. I was hyped about the first one and bought the BD blind and never watched it again.

Rented the 2nd one and actually found it somewhat enjoyable. Definitely thought it was better than the first, but I did NOT buy it and don't particularly have a great desire to see it again, unlike some of the movies in my collection that I've seen numerous times.

Max

#673 tuxedocivic

tuxedocivic

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

Hmm, I watched it quite a while ago and memory is a little foggy. I voted 4 stars and buy. But I'm a fan. Thanks for measuring it. I'd like to watch it again soon.

#674 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

Graphs added to Expendables 2 Post....I apparently forgot to put them there before.

JSS

#675 Madaeel

Madaeel

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:21 AM

For what it's worth, I hated the first one too. Story was blech and the editing made me nauseous. I was hyped about the first one and bought the BD blind and never watched it again.
Rented the 2nd one and actually found it somewhat enjoyable. Definitely thought it was better than the first, but I did NOT buy it and don't particularly have a great desire to see it again, unlike some of the movies in my collection that I've seen numerous times.
Max

Oh yah I get people didn't love the movie. Really didn't think anyone would. It was an old-school action flick with the typical one-liners. I just didn't expect much going in except for lots of violence. I think it lived up to that. Plus I love Stallone, Jet Li, and Statham. If you found the 2nd enjoyable I should love it haha.

#676 Japandave

Japandave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:21 AM

Can someone give me their opinion on which had more base in UWA when the super lican first appears and TR and the Rekall loung scene?

The lican scene just is a whole different level in my theater.

#677 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

The SuperLycan scene is centered at 30Hz, IIRC.

#678 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

Titan AE (DVD-DTS 5.1)

Level - 4 Stars (111.83dB composite)

Extension - 3 Stars (16Hz)

Dynamics - 3 Stars (24.6dB)

Execution - 4 Stars by poll.

Overall - 3.5 Stars

Recommendation - Rent.  While many are fans, this film is visually lacking, and looks quite dated.

JSS

Attached Files

#679 Japandave

Japandave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

The SuperLycan scene is centered at 30Hz, IIRC.

I was under the impression that the Rekall lounge scene was also centered around the 30Hx mark?

#680 Jindrak

Jindrak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

Titan AE is a classic, a must buy. It was wonderfully executed for what it was and is still impressive to this day, despite never having a Blu-ray remaster. Wish they would do one though. Would love to see and hear this in HD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users