The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Thanks Bosso, I will work on them tonight.  Damn, that Oppo looks impressive indeed!  I never liked the sound of AVRs for processors myself and have always used older higher end processors.  Right now I am using my Meridian 861 and my system has never sound better, ever!  I measured my subs the other night and at the LP without any EQ even hoked uo I was flat to 6hz and my rolloff was 1.4 dBs at 10hz from 20hz!  That is the least amount of rolloff without EQ I have ever had so far.  I am still using optical with HBR DTS for audio.  The oppo would give me maybe more low end and same sound quality which would make me get one tomorrow! 

I wanted to mention a few things:

First, MKT... Bravo! I can't believe how many people ask for screen caps of their favorite scene, but just don't want to download and graph themselves. Virtually no one.

Second, about my settings; I discovered that using the decimation setting for both FFT (in FFT Settings Tab) and sampling rate (in Audio I/O Tab) allowed me to increase the resolution in the subwoofer range by magnitudes.

Here's a SC of the bridge collapse scene in WOTW using my old settings and the new higher rez setting. I also took the scene MKT showed above from HULK and zoomed in on one of the "footsteps" to show the rez difference:

042148fc5e1bedc7fe241f6a432e568f.jpg

Notice in the zoomed footstep how many bars there are from left to right. The higher rez setting has more than double. Also notice, just as a small nuance, that on the low end, the darkest stripe, with higher rez, you notice that the stripe ramps up in frequency over time. Looking at the lower rez version, the ramping is gone and it's much more pixelated. 

This is probably only important to me, as I'm way past just looking for overall intensity and how low in frequency the blobs of color are. When you compare digital vs mic'd, as I've done for years, you look deeper and deeper into the comparisons, looking for distortions and generally how differently designed effects look on paper, showing why they sound different, etc.

The only way to do that is by increasing the resolution.

To be honest, I haven't looked at the settings upload file in my download for a year, so I may have tweaked them since. If I did, it probably is the scroll speed. If you get my settings file loaded into SL and post a graph, I'll be able to tell and help from there.

I've been busy at work, doing subwoofer hardware purchasing and I decided to try the Oppo BDP-105 flagship as preamp and dump my old Oppo player=>Onk receiver-as-pre/pro.

The main thought was to improve the signal chain integrity, so I did before/after measurements of the subs, close mic and at the LP:

e974560c8c51c3eb8e9e86574b87397e.jpg

I gained around 3-5dB @ 3 Hz, which is pretty huge.

The 2nd reason for the change was sound quality across the entire systems bandwidth. I've always dislike the thought of using a receiver as a preamp, and I truly dislike the SQ of the Onk, which I rushed into buying and hooking up because I wanted the Hi-Rez audio NOW.

The difference in the sound field coherence, steering and clean factor were so great that I about dumped on the floor.

I measured first, close mic and LP, then I listened to 3 of the highest quality recordings I have (and know well), before and after. When I popped in the 1st disc with the new Oppo, really... just unbelievable the difference. I'm not into audiophile subjective prose, just wanna say the difference was not nuance, it was stunning.

Anyway, see y'all in Chicago!

BTW, I do want to replicate your graphs as they look the best to me and give you a break in doing them alone.  Besides I think it is fun anyways.  My next step once I get this dialed in is asking how to measure using my subs and not the digital feed and then show pics of both side by side. 

MK, thanks for setting up. I'd love to be able to do it myself, but my time is spent on other things like measuring AT fabrics and speakers. So thanks to you for doing this.

Has Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol been measured somewhere? I re-watched it a couple weeks ago and the Kremlin explosion was pretty good. Would be interesting to see that one.

@ Bosso, your new player room vs nearfield measurements are conflicting around 80hz and up. What's up? Did something change?

MK, thanks for setting up. I'd love to be able to do it myself, but my time is spent on other things like measuring AT fabrics and speakers. So thanks to you for doing this.

Has Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol been measured somewhere? I re-watched it a couple weeks ago and the Kremlin explosion was pretty good. Would be interesting to see that one.

@ Bosso, your new player room vs nearfield measurements are conflicting around 80hz and up. What's up? Did something change?

Yeah, stupid mistake. I had the Onk's manual EQ selected where I had used one filter and I forgot to switch to no EQ before the Onk measurements. Bummer, because once it was out of the hardware console, it was out for good, but the real result I was looking for was below that.

Yeah, James, looking forward to your Hulk Bashes Abomination With Cop Car scene. B)

Here is my problem, when I use Bosso's settings I can not get the under 10hz stuff for some reason but with max's settings I get down to 3hz from the same scene.  The bad part is Bosso's settings are much more detail and I can not get both for some reason.  What can I change on Max's settings to better resolution?  Thanks. Once I get this done I will throw up some graphs of the Kremlin.  The faster you guys help me the faster I can litter the thread! 

MK nice work,to bad i cant help you : ( noticed you gonna do the Kremlin scene wanna ask you if you also could do the car crash scene approx 10-15 after kremlin,scared the #### out of me ; ) guess it not so low but very high in peak,kind of darla tapping fishtank (nemo) since it is Gary Rydstrom as sound designer on both,thanks in advance.

Nicke

MK,

Did you do the step where you compensate for rolloff for Bosso's settings?  That will get you back the under 10Hz stuff.....if you did it for mine, the same reference trace will not translate over to Bosso's.

JSS

You mean running all the Soho's tones and sweeps for bosso's graphs and create a rolloff profile again?  I just loaded the one I created for your settings.  I tried loading Bosso's settings and then start to calibrate my soundcard with his settings but I could not get that 60hz tone to play loud enough.  I will give it a go again tonight, I usually start this stuff at 11 pm so if I could ever get a earlier start I can really get some stuff done.  I do have to take some time off to watch movies too!  I will start everything over again but rather than starting with your spectrumsetting file I will load up Bosso's and go from there.  I think I had the wrong settings for my soundcard anyways which I started with a 16 bit 44.1 kHz settings and my sound card is 16 bit 48khz.  I am not sure how much of a difference that would make but I will start over anyways. Bosso's settings really do look smoother and more defined so I should at least start with that. 

Once I put in MI4 I can go to any scene and capture it.  The car scene is a very dynamic scene indeed and one of the best waking your butt up scenes to use. 

Ok no matter what I tried I could not get any tones to play correctly when I downloaded Bosso settings trying to start over. I could with max's settings. When I played a 60hz tone it worked with max's but with Bosso's it played a very low level 64 hz tone even with the sound card clipping. Also, when I tried running all the tones and sweeps to create a file for rolloff again it never played them at 0 dBs, it only when up to -10 dBs even though it played -10 dBs with the 20hz tone and MV 10 dBs lower! Basically it did not get louder for some reason and maybe why I can't quite get it right yet. Any suggestions?