The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Nicke,

You are correct.  Pulse:

Level - 4 Stars (110dB)

Extension - 5 Stars (9Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (27.7dB)

Execution - 5 Stars by poll

Overall - 4.75 Stars

Recommendation - RENT by poll.

MaxRMS 114 dB
LeqZ 94.1 dB
MaxPeak 121.8 dB
Dynamics 27.7 dB
Level 110.0 dB

Compared to the more recent films, this one is a little low in overall level.  But films like Immortals, SkyFall and TDKR push the envelope maybe a bit too far.  Clipping a soundcard that will accept a 127.6dB input is a bit much....

JSS

post-20-0-62336100-1364754805_thumb.png

JSS, you're a scholar and a gentleman.

As for Pulse, I think the execution is great, but the movie is T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E.  Strongly recommend to never even rent it.  Just download Jindrak's demo Blu-ray and watch the server room scene. 

It's kinda funny how much has changed in the six years since that movie came out.  What was once considered a "sub killer" is not nearly so hardcore.  It's like a small width (17-21hz) sine sweep up and down, repeated for something like 72 seconds.  Not too many similar scenes to compare it to.  The schoolroom scene from Dredd is the closest comparison I can think of, though its deeper and not quite as hot.

Was able to get another one measured yesterday:

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

Level - 4 Stars (112.4dB)

Extension - 3 Stars (16Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.3dB)

Execution - 4 Stars - I'm not sure if the BluRay got robbed on this release, the charts I can find of the DVD appear to correlate well to this PvA. 

Overall - 4 Stars

Recommendation - Rent, unless you are a very big fan of the Terminator saga.

MaxRMS 116.1 dB
LeqZ 96.4 dB
MaxPeak 124.7 dB
Dynamics 28.3 dB
Level 112.4 dB

JSS

post-20-0-46520400-1364950880_thumb.png

Terminator Salvation:

Level - 5 Stars (113.8dB)

Extension - 3 Stars (17Hz)

Dynamics - 4 Stars (26.4dB)

Execution - 4 Stars - Tremendous midbass film, the gas station scene up to the HK capture is demo material.

Overall - 4 Stars

Recommendation - Rent.  Decent film, nice take on the Terminator series.  But not good enough to make me want to own.

MaxRMS 117 dB
LeqZ 99 dB
MaxPeak 125.4 dB
Dynamics 26.4 dB
Level 113.8 dB

JSS

post-20-0-94676800-1365032894_thumb.png

The Man with the Iron Fists:

Level - 5 Stars (113.2dB)

Extension - 5 Stars (9Hz)

Dynamics - 4 Stars (26.6dB)

Execution - 4 Stars. Repetitive sweeps over and over. Good surround use though. Not on par with other 5 Star films

Overall - 4.5 Stars.

Recommendation - RENT. I am never going to get the hour and a half back that I wasted watching this film. Who told RZA he could make movies? This film is pretty damned horrible. Do yourselves a favor and generate some 40 to 20Hz sweeps, put them on an iPod, and play them indefinitely, varying the volume each time. You have just created the LFE for The Man with the Iron Fists. /rant.

MaxRMS 118 dB

LeqZ 97.5 dB

MaxPeak 124.1 dB

Dynamics 26.6 dB

Level 113.2 dB

The graph is impressive, too bad it rolls off below 20Hz. But at least the rolloff is shallower than Thor.

JSS

post-20-0-95240500-1365205916_thumb.png

JSS, you're a scholar and a gentleman.

As for Pulse, I think the execution is great, but the movie is T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E.  Strongly recommend to never even rent it.  Just download Jindrak's demo Blu-ray and watch the server room scene. 

It's kinda funny how much has changed in the six years since that movie came out.  What was once considered a "sub killer" is not nearly so hardcore.  It's like a small width (17-21hz) sine sweep up and down, repeated for something like 72 seconds.  Not too many similar scenes to compare it to.  The schoolroom scene from Dredd is the closest comparison I can think of, though its deeper and not quite as hot.

Thanks!

I really liked Dredd.  Not super loud, but very well done.  I think they did the comic book 'justice' in this telling.

JSS

Thanks for the Terminators, MM. I'm pretty sure T3 graphs the same on BD as it did on DVD. I wouldn't worry.

Also, all the points and scores are spot on for both.

Thanks!  Day After Tomorrow sometime tomorrow.  Also RED, Kick-Ass and some others.

JSS

Sorry for the hiatus, but I've been too busy to devote the necessary time to graphing, formatting and posting. (Sure wish someone would kick in with that)...

Anyway, we just finished watching the HBO flick H&G and there's some unexpected ULF kick in it by a now-familiar mix-chick. Sound design is by a guy who goes back to Apocalypse Now, but this appears to be his first go at sound design.

I capped the best scene and did the Title Block, but just wanted to give a heads up for those who may have passed on this one for whatever reason. Owens and Kidman log great performances and the movie, although a bit too long IMO, is worth the rent.

Hemingway & Gellhorn:

[IMG]http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae206/pointonetech/TitleBlock-HampG_zpsdea97d69.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae206/pointonetech/Hemingway-1_zpsd88d8ad8.jpg[/IMG]

Helping out a little bit, Dave, this is how you get images to work here:

Get to the full post editor by clicking "More reply options" at the bottom. 

When in the full editor, click the image button just under the text color button, put the full URL of the image (minus the IMG tags), and bam, you're done.  Yep, it's not ideal, but it works pretty well, and direct link to the images should be just as easily accessible to you as the IMG code tags via Photobucket.  Here are your images.

TitleBlock-HampG_zpsdea97d69.jpgHemingway-1_zpsd88d8ad8.jpg

P.S.  Finally got the tops on my subs.  Pics on AVS.  They turned out pretty nice.  Will ping you soon regarding odd results from the measurements w/ tops.

Not really related to this thread, but had to share. Last night I finally got around to watching Goldeneye. A favourite of mine ever since I went to see it in theaters as a young teenager. Really not that long ago, yet watching it was just hilarious how bad the sound was. Especially the LFE. In my mind I remember it as huge explosions, tanks, gun fire, etc. Not quite how I remember it. The new movies have come so far. The sound tracks on this thread's list are so good, even the 3/5 ones. I still love the movie, but it'll always be better how I remembered it back in the day.

Doing some other stuff today, but I do have a copy of the Hobbit to see how bad it is, and whether or not it will be salvagable.

JSS

LOL, I can't wait to hear your opinions and see the graph. I personally found this soundtrack even more of a letdown thann Avengers. I'm also waiting to see what FilmMixer finds out about the BD soundtrack.

Max

Just scanned the Hobbit flick for LFE. I found the rock giant scene, which is the best this 3 hour kiddie cartoon has to offer. The film is filtered at 40 Hz with a virtual brick wall at 30 Hz, turing the rock giants into Godzilla trampling Tokyo on late-night TV through a 2" speaker.

My system was purposely run +6dB hot for this cap, so you can imagine how pathetic it might be running flat.

eae0de24bfda254427d7450b99801505.jpg

• Haha 1