Photo

The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

Bass Movies Bass Movie Measurements Deep Bass Movies Bass Waterfall Graphs Bass Graphs

• Please log in to reply
3820 replies to this topic

#461 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:10 AM

Well,

I thought there is NO WAY TDKR is that hot......so....

I was looking over my settings and it seems I may have had TDKR on too hot (didn't set my AVR speaker levels correctly prior to running the PvA), so I'll have to wait to run it again when I get it from Netflix with the proper settings. I did TDKR in a rush, while family was in town, hence the mistake. I think it will still pack a punch, but not a full 10dBHz above everything else.

JSS

#462 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

TDKR graph corrected. It still comes in at 4 Stars overall, with 120+dB RMS peaks on the SPL meter, and an LeqZ of 99.1dB.

The Watch is up next...

JSS

#463 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:49 PM

The Watch:

Level - 3 Stars (108.29dB composite)
Extension - 3 Stars (17Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (31.25dB)
Execution - 4 Stars - Mainly because it was such a surprise. This film seems louder than it is because of the dynamics. It graphs a lot like Thor, 20Hz HP.

Overall - 3.75 Stars

Recommendation - Rent. I thought the film was horrible, but funny.

JSS

Attached File  TheWatch-PvA.PNG   74.47KB   0 downloads

#464 TimVG

TimVG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

Rewatching Daredevil (2003). What an excellent use of bass and ULF in particular in this movie, it really adds something and was definitely included intentional and not random.

#465 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

DareDevil is in the queue.

But I have an announcement: 2012 ended with a BANG. Here's Looper:

LooperTitleBlock_zps04f9ed81.JPG

LooperPvA_zps2e3b8f29.JPG

Looper1_zpsc85c0f9d.JPG

Looper2_zps6e5de6e2.JPG

Looper3_zps7c10163f.JPG

Level - 4 Stars (111.27dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (7 Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.49dB)
Execution - 5 Stars - This film has it all, the sub-20Hz stuff was used sparingly and effectively, some great upper bass punch as well. it curiously looks like Underworld:Awakening, with the 28Hz spike in Avg level. I am glad 2012 rebounded with a few excellent MWBs.

Overall - 4.75 Stars!

Recommendation - I say Buy. This is a very unique take on time travel, and it is not just a graphics festival.

JSS

Attached Files

• Sputter likes this

#466 Infrasonic

Infrasonic

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

Rewatching Daredevil (2003). What an excellent use of bass and ULF in particular in this movie, it really adds something and was definitely included intentional and not random.

Hahah! I just watched it too (rifftrax). Definitely worth graphing for bass. The 5.1 mix is rather good too.

Aha! I knew Looper had the goods. Even with limited extension at the cinema I can just tell somehow. No highpass filters at my place maybe? :P

Good f**kin' times!

Max, do you mind explaining the LeqZ and RMS things in the Looper chart? Thanks. :o

#467 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:11 AM

LeqZ is the Equivalent SPL Level with Z (zero) weighting. OSHA standards are A-weight based.

RMS Peak is the highest peak is the dB reading that an SPL meter would measure with no weighting on a flat to 2Hz system.

It is a way to measure films that tells you how loud overall a track is, and the highest peak, counting all freqs, esp if the PvA graph doesn't look so impressive, as with many wideband effects.

JSS

#468 Bossobass Dave

Bossobass Dave

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:20 AM

I watched Looper the other day. I just switched over to BR with Netflix (nearest Family Video to me is over an hour away). The DVD is as anemic as the rest of the recent spate of comparos I've done, making it useless as a metric. Otherwise, I'd have posted the doc for it by now.

I guess they're looking to assure themselves that everyone will replace his current library with BR versions, but just don't know.

I may just buy the BR of Loopers, but really this is a crock of excrement that the 2 versions are so different. Oh well, Loopers doc delayed, so stand by...

#469 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:02 AM

No prob,

Whenever you have time.....I still have to get a test disc and scene cap tutorial up....

JSS

#470 Madaeel

Madaeel

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:21 AM

I agree with the RE rating Max. Almost every one of them has been the same: loud and repetitive.

It's sad too because I actually liked the RE movies. No they're not going to win any Oscars, but I love Zombie flicks and games so of course I enjoyed them. Except Retribution was awful. The action is always nice but the acting was so bad I laughed most of the time. Thank god Milla still looks good.

I can't wait to watch Looper now. A friend of mine told me he watched it yesterday and the bass was impressive. A 5 star though?!! Nice.

Hey Max do you think you could graph Chronicle when you get a chance? I watched it the other day and I forgot how much bass it had. I'm interested to see its rating.

Thanks again to you and Bosso for all the work.

#471 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Chronicle will be added, also maybe I am Number Four

JSS

#472 djbluemax1

djbluemax1

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

I watched Looper the other day. I just switched over to BR with Netflix (nearest Family Video to me is over an hour away). The DVD is as anemic as the rest of the recent spate of comparos I've done, making it useless as a metric. Otherwise, I'd have posted the doc for it by now.

I guess they're looking to assure themselves that everyone will replace his current library with BR versions, but just don't know.

I may just buy the BR of Loopers, but really this is a crock of excrement that the 2 versions are so different. Oh well, Loopers doc delayed, so stand by...

Wow. We know from M&C that the DVD audio can definitely go low and loud, so this move is a deliberate marketing ploy by the studios to castrate the audio on DVDs. And I don't know how many rental BDs from Netflix and Blockbuster have the recent trend to exclude the lossless tracks from rentals but this is really some BS.

Especially with the DVDs, because the folks still stuck on DVDs probably are completely unaware that they're getting shafted on the audio too. I mean everyone's aware of the SD vs HD difference in video between DVD and BD, but no one really thought that studios were deliberately castrating the audio tracks specifically on the DVDs.

Max

#473 FOH

FOH

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationCentral Indiana

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

Maxmercy, I will give a listen to TDKR, and lt you know, as those really are interesting findings. FWIW; ...when we rent, we rent BR from Family Video.

We enjoyed Looper a few days ago. And yeah, with my ample sub system, subjectively it sure seemed nicely extended and quite stout. Max, you're spot on, as it's an interestingly fresh take on the idea.

#474 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:28 AM

FOH,

Very interested to hear what you have to say about TDKR.

DJBM,

You can add Tron:Legacy to the list of DVDs not as loud as the BD.......

What is the over-under on the high-pass for this film?

http://trailers.appl.../wb/pacificrim/

My guess is a Battleship-like 40Hz....

JSS

#475 jeffw69

jeffw69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

DareDevil is in the queue.

But I have an announcement: 2012 ended with a BANG. Here's Looper:

Level - 5 Stars (268.76)
Extension - 5 Stars (2 Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.2dB)
Execution - 5 Stars - This film has it all, the sub-20Hz stuff was used sparingly and effectively, some great upper bass punch as well. it curiously looks like Underworld:Awakening, with the 28Hz spike in Avg level. I am glad 2012 rebounded with a few excellent MWBs.

LeqZ - 95.8dB
RMS Peak - 116.3dB

Overall - 5 STARS!

Recommendation - I say Buy. This is a very unique take on time travel, and it is not just a graphics festival.

JSS

Max,
I have a dumb question: was this for BD version of Looper?
I was going to rent at my local video, but all copies were out and while I was at Target yesterday, I picked up a copy on BD.
While watching it, the level was somewhat quiet and really had to turn it up. Plus, the LFE was weak for me.

I am thinking I may have gotten a bad copy.
Anyone else have problems?

#476 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

BluRay from Netflix. Strange.... I really hope there aren't variations out there....

JSS

#477 Ricci

Ricci

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Watched the TDKR yesterday. Liked the movie but the sound design I thought was just ok. Bane's voice was difficult to understand despite being mixed really loud. Found it annoying. I assume they did that on purpose since he has a mask over his mouth but I really didn't like the effect. Also thought I heard some clipping in parts much like others reported. Bass was loud but had a boomy one recycled rumble sort of feel to me.

Also watched Brave. Not a bass monster but I felt the sound design was pretty good and far from anemic. There were some very loud bass sections particularly a couple of sharp upper bass transients that were really concussive. One in particular.

#478 FOH

FOH

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationCentral Indiana

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

Just watched Brave last night, superb sound in general, just superb. Not suprising, as the Skywalker Sound players involved are the finest. Also, 7.1 release btw, with well executed fly-over type effects. Best rental I've seen in some time. I believe Brave is the first release availed/optimized and mixed for Dolby Atmos.

I've become more and more sensitive to overall mix quality recently, and this relese just seems flawlessly executed. IMO, it's that good. It's also got the "Maximizer" tool in the menu, for many things, including channel to channel balance.

#479 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

Does Brave need to be in the queue?

JSS

#480 Stan

Stan

• Members