Photo

The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

Bass Movies Bass Movie Measurements Deep Bass Movies Bass Waterfall Graphs Bass Graphs

• Please log in to reply
3872 replies to this topic

#321 djbluemax1

djbluemax1

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

The moron nicked my graphs and posted them at AVS right after he said you and I are doing a lot of work for nothing because no one cares what the graphs say. That's a problem for me. I'm not doing all that work for some shitwipe to lift it and post it elsewhere with the same BS critique that caused my exit from AVS.

I wiped TDKR from my photobucket account to verify that he lifted the graphs and didn't just take the links. I need a solution to this problem. I prefer to just let AVS do it's thing and not be any part of it, especially not through some mental patient without my direct input.

This project just isn't that important to me that I should feel any discomfort over it at anyone's expense. I've had enough of that nonsense over the past 10 years. It just holds no interest for me.

Any way you can get him in trouble for stealing/using your images without consent? They are, after all, products of your hard work, and your specific combo of settings in SL, derived from years of experimentation and consideration. Doesn't that fall under intellectual property or something? Linking to the site or posts is one thing, stealing graphs and charts is another.

Max
  • Braifaraglisp likes this

#322 djbluemax1

djbluemax1

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

I should have the SW Saga finished by the weekend. I read this 3 years ago, and it is a damned funny critique of the prequels and special editions:

http://www.chefelf.c...rwars/index.php

Coming soon also FOTP and Assassin's Bullet.

JSS

Amusing link. If you have some free time and need some chuckles, here's a good one
http://northisup.com...he-hope-mirror/

Max

#323 kbarnes70

kbarnes70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

The really unfortunate part of all this is that Bosso has had enough (and who can blame him) and so the community is going to lose a great resource.

#324 Bossobass Dave

Bossobass Dave

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

IMO, no one should have even mentioned an 'alternative' thread over at AVS. Oh well....

Bosso, just let idiots like JPC link what they want to link, d/l what they want to d/l. If I let every less-than-friendly patient who didn't give a rat's ass about their health get to me, and the years I have spent learning how to best care for them, I'd have quit by now....there are some that cannot be helped, and who will always have criticism (to put it politely) for you even trying. It is best to simply forget about them, knowing you offered them the proper advice. That's what I do, at least.

JSS

Due respect Doc, but this isn't my vocation, just recreation. Only the insane would engage in recreation that aggravates them.

This BS argument that everything below 20 Hz (or whatever arbitrary and incorrect Hz the arguer pulls out of his ass) is 'unintended artifact', 'left on the ST by mistake since the knob jockeys couldn't monitor it', 'inaudible, so unnecessary', 'less than 1% of 1%...', etc., ad-infinitum, has been around since I first registered to a forum 12 years ago.

The only reason it could possibly still exist is that it's agenda-driven.

All this time I've participated in those ridiculous debates because it had the benefit of possibly allowing some people to reason that playback fidelity vs a grossly distorted playback that included lopping off 3 octaves of content might be of some benefit.

When RMK posted in the AVS thread that, basically, I only post about ULF as some sort of "guerilla marketing campaign" to sell subwoofers with that feature, it really became the last straw for me. That was as libelous a statement as it gets. That crosses the line from debate to tortious behavior.

Then someone I don't even know lifts my graphs and posts about how they're flawed, inaccurate, blah, blah.

You say just let them do it? Sorry, I can't and that's just bad advice.

What if one of your patients went online and told an audience of a few hundred thousand that you treated him incompetently and that you only were in it for the money?

And, yes, I believe they indeed have won. I believe that will be reflected in future STs that will follow the same path the music industry and pro sound industry went down, to the same end. The trend is already evident. Dynamic range falls by -5dB, then watch it shrink from there as the bandwidth grows closer and closer to the pro sound industry standard of 40 Hz with hardware specs that claim 30 Hz.

Bandwidth is irrelevant. It's how loud it goes. Louder is better. If a HPF allows for louder then don't bet against the HPF.

Someone ping me to discuss saving the data I have in Photobucket because I don't plan to leave it there for any length of time, if that's something anyone cares to do.

#325 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

Bosso,

Well I hope you change your mind, but we'll press on, hopefully you'll keep tabs on the place. I want the data-bass to get populated not only for my curiousity, but many others here.

As to having a patient complain to the masses, nothing stops them as it is. Sites like Angie's List and HealthGrades do that 24 hours a day. If people can prove that a doc has treated them in an incompetent fashion, they don't post about it, unless they are idiots. They sue.

I think you should say something to the AVS mods about the breach of copyright, though, if that is the case.

I have simply decided not to let the turkeys get me down. Now, onto some graphs!

Assassin's Bullet (5.1 DTS-HD MA):

Level - 3 Stars (108.95dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (8Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.3dB)
Execution - 4 Stars - While I didn't care for the film too much, the LF was very well done, lots of variety.

Overall - 4.25 Stars

Recommendation - Rent. Nice take on the espionage thriller, but not enough re-watchability to call it a buy.

AB-1-1.JPG

AB-2-1.JPG

AB-3-1.JPG

Up next: Flight of the Phoenix and Superman Returns....

JSS

Attached Files

#326 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

Flight of the Phoenix:

Level - 5 Stars (114.39dB composite) 
Extension - 5 Stars (8Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.14dB)
Execution - 5 Stars - This is a classic and well done LFE film. Many demos done to this track.

Overall - 5 Stars - Only the second film to earn a 5 Star overall rating. This thing is a beast.  Finer PvA settings miss the 8-11Hz transient that happens around the 57min mark and garners this film its 5 star extension rating.

Recommendation - Buy. Even if just for demo material. The film is OK to good, the bass excellent.

JSS

Attached Files

• Attached File  FOTP.PNG   60.23KB   3 downloads

• azsam likes this

#327 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

Superman Returns:

Level - 4 Stars (110.29dBHz)
Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.85dB)
Execution - 4 Stars - Just a little more level and you would be in 5-Star territory. Very well done LF mix.

Overall - 4.25 Stars

Recommendation - Rent. This is a good film, but I don't like it enough to buy. Others may disagree.

JSS

Scene Captures:

SRch9powerfailure.gif
SRch9thatwasntyou.gif
SRch11unknownbogey.gif

Attached Files

#328 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

I'm shocked and awed to see FOTP getting 5 stars! Look at that ENORMOUS hump in avg. level around 32hz. I didn't realize it had content down in the ULF range - prolly because I haven't watched it yet with the sealed setup. Great to know, though. Huge level and great dynamics as measured! What are some of the other demo-worthy scenes besides the big plane crash?

As to the clowns over at AVS, well, boys will be boys. Don't let them kill your enthusiasm, Dave. What you guys are doing here is a monumental effort, and a labor of love that has real merit to the community. JPC is a jerk, and his whole MO is to try to get under your skin by being a contrarian. He probably will continue, but I hope it won't have any bearing on this project - and, at least they haven't come over here en masse.

JSS - glad you decided to keep the 1,1 settings for the graphs. I think that makes the most sense, and it requires no rework. And, in the future if there's some question about films' short transient content, perhaps they can be re-run with 4,0.25 settings or something if there's a question of or an indication that they were getting shortchanged.

#329 raffin

raffin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

Everyone's hard work here is greatly appreciated! Bosso, hope you can just ignore the idiots and continue to post.

My suggestion: just make this thread private so you have to be a member to read it or post to it. If the riff raff can't read it they can't post or bogart graphs. If they register and then misbehave they get banned. Should make everyones life here a whole lot simpler.

#330 Nicke

Nicke

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

Nice with a new bassforum,hope the trolls stays out of it,god job all involved : )

#331 Nicke

Nicke

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

Oohhh forgott,looking forward to see Finding nemo and Pulse charts

#332 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

I was also blown away by the content in FOTP. It has sub-10Hz at the level of a 3 to 4-Star film, then adds another 10dB for the theatrical subwoofer region! Too bad I can barely sit through the movie. Giovanni Ribisi (sp?) just grates at me in this film.

I have found out how to make a BD-5 to calibrate levels for those who will be contributing scene waterfall captures, and to see if a person's AVR will clip with 0dBFS+ (with bass management). More on this later.

Its looking like Underworld:Awakening will get the LF Film of the Year for 2012. I should get TDKR later this month. In the meantime, I have the following films coming:

Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Master and Commander DVD
LOTR and Matrix Trilogies
Live Free or Die Hard
Cloverfield
Inception
The Haunting DVD
Titan AE
Pearl Harbor
Running Scared
The Day After Tomorrow
Knowing
Batman:Under the Red Hood
Pulse
Percy Jackson
The Grey
Serenity
The Hurt Locker
Hellboy II
Finding Nemo
Monster House

And I'll run a chart for the Telarc 1812 Overture and Also Sprach Zarathrusta for FOH...

JSS

#333 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

Amusing link. If you have some free time and need some chuckles, here's a good one
http://northisup.com...he-hope-mirror/

Max

Genius. My fav:

"20 years earlier, Chewbacca was second in command of the defence of his planet."

JSS

#334 djbluemax1

djbluemax1

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

Heh, I received an infraction because one of those whiney morons reported my post calling JPC a moron and inferring that he's a d****bag (the last line of my post was, "BTW, what's the name of that feminine hygiene product that begins with a 'd' and ends with 'bag'?"), for stealing Dave's graphs without even acknowledging that they are his, and for deliberately posting the link to this thread while quoting a post requesting that any folks knowing about this thread NOT post a link to it on that thread.

Bet it it was JPC himself whining. Anyway, I've already reported JPC's post for intellectual property theft AND sent Mark Rubin a PM about it. I'd urge other avs'ers to do the same seeing as how that moron has potentially cost us Dave's contributions of his time and graphs. In fact, I wonder if we can sue?

Max

P.S. to avoid cluttering up the thread with more off-topic content, we can continue this discussion via PM's or elsewhere.

#335 FilmMixer

FilmMixer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

Title Block corrected. Thanks for the heads up. For clarification, it's Gregg Landaker.

Dave.. spell check stinks sometimes. ;)

If you ever have a question about who the FX mixers are on a show, please let me know before you spend time with your charts.. I'll be happy to ask around if I don't know the answer. :)

#336 kbarnes70

kbarnes70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

Heh, I received an infraction because one of those whiney morons reported my post calling JPC a moron and inferring that he's a d****bag (the last line of my post was, "BTW, what's the name of that feminine hygiene product that begins with a 'd' and ends with 'bag'?"), for stealing Dave's graphs without even acknowledging that they are his, and for deliberately posting the link to this thread while quoting a post requesting that any folks knowing about this thread NOT post a link to it on that thread.

Bet it it was JPC himself whining. Anyway, I've already reported JPC's post for intellectual property theft AND sent Mark Rubin a PM about it. I'd urge other avs'ers to do the same seeing as how that moron has potentially cost us Dave's contributions of his time and graphs. In fact, I wonder if we can sue?

Max

P.S. to avoid cluttering up the thread with more off-topic content, we can continue this discussion via PM's or elsewhere.

Just one observation before dropping it: J P Crass's stolen images of Bosso's graphs and charts have been removed now from AVS.

#337 Infrasonic

Infrasonic

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:09 AM

Max, definitely add the recent-ish Superman Returns to that list. It had PLENTY of strong ULF throughout. I did several charts on that one. They are archived in all the old waterfall charts on AVS or I could post them up here but I don't want to muck up what you have been doing.

Ah! I post a couple. ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#338 djbluemax1

djbluemax1

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

Just one observation before dropping it: J P Crass's stolen images of Bosso's graphs and charts have been removed now from AVS.

Yup, I reported it and PM'd Mark Rubin about it.

Max

#339 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

Scott,

I'll add the scene caps to the Superman Returns post. It was a 4.25 Star film

Here's where I posted it:

http://data-bass.ipb...indpost__p__466

FilmMixer,

Do you know why someone would use a 4th or 8th order highpass near 30Hz for most of TDKR, vs just the opening scene?

I should complete the Star Wars Saga today or tomorrow.

#340 TimVG

TimVG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

I just watched TDKR. I liked the movie itself.
About the sound: Was it bad? Not at all. Could have it been a whole lot better? No doubt.

Some issues: apart from the aggressive (harsh) mix, the bass, although present and used with abbudance sounded very bloated and monotonous. I can definitely put the graphs in perspective. Less (mid)bass and some ULF could (would) have done wonders for this one. You begin to wonder about stuff when Tom Danley's firework recording has more feel to it than a nuclear bomb exploding in TDKR.
Another issue I had was Bane's voice. OK, they dubbed it over, but did they have to make it so apparent? Not only was his voice twice as clear as the other characters' it was also twice as loud which was really annoying to me. But as this is Data-Bass I'll go back to just that, and I'm going to go out on a limb here. But if this is the result from using 30hz ported subs at the mixing facility, they need to upgrade their equipment. I'm sorry to be blunt, but does anyone find it normal that we, the amateurs, have better, more capable equiment, than the people making multi-million dollar movies?

I can understand the argument that these movies are mixed for commercial theaters. But don't BR/DVD home released get a different mix anyway? Even if that's not the case, a lot of movies have been released with the exact properties a lot of people here are looking for, so we know it can be done.

It's a shame really, so much potential in some of the latest releases, and it's all wasted on what appears to be a loudness war. I wish some of the guys in charge could experience something like WOTW or HTTYD or any other 4+ star movie vs TDKR or The Avengers in a capable theater, and then have them say they liked the latter presentation better.

I watched the movie Brave yesterday, apart from one scene there wasn't much below 30hz either, but at least it was a good presentation. I'd take that above TDKR anyday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users