The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

So here were last night's very low level captures. You can see by the right hand side how low the volume was...but I ordered the Blu-Ray last night and as soon as it comes in I'm going to send the wife out for a few hours so I can crank it up. 

Paper ship sails:

Kubo_ShipSails.jpg

Kubo finds armor:

Kubo_FindsArmor.jpg

Fathers fortress:

Kubo_FathersFortress.jpg

Kubo helmet:

Kubo_Helmet.jpg

I kept the movie for one more day to capture louder screen caps. Note by the bar to the far right these are at moderate volume. I'm still sending my wife out of the house as soon as the movie shows up at my door. :D

Louder screen caps:

Sword Unbreakable:

Kubo_SwordUnbreakable1.jpg

Kubo_SwordUnbreakable2.jpg

Kubo_SwordUnbreakable3.jpg

Breakthrough wall and floor:

Kubo_BreakthroughWallAndFloor.jpg

Kubo finds armor:

Kubo_FindsArmor3.jpg

• Like 2

Nice captures!

So I've only watched a handful of movies on my new subs.  "Kubo" is the first movie I watched without seeing the PvA beforehand.  What a lucky coincidence that that it turned out to be quite potent.

I could tell right from the very start that it dug below 20 Hz.  At the end of the opening scene is a powerful "blunt force" transient that I'm pretty sure dug well down into the single digits.  The effect was disturbingly realistic for what it was trying to depict.

And yeah.  This thing has ULF all over.  Infrasonic kick drum in the end credits song?  Check.  They even managed to use ULF in some of the dialog.

• Like 1

Yes it is.  Here's a link with an image from Logan the little bit of spoken word at the beginning and end removed:

Oh, I see what's wrong.  Electrodynamic and I were talking about the end song in "Kubo" not "Logan".

Edited by SME
  • Like 1

Actually, the Crowson transducers will extend all the way down to 1Hz.

I have two positioned underneath the rear feet of my sofa (MLP).

Well that's cool to know.  Unless, mine are a bit older and the ones I have only go down to 5hz.  Either way, I get a nice shake and shudder on my chair with the really low stuff  :D .

Well that's cool to know.  Unless, mine are a bit older and the ones I have only go down to 5hz.  Either way, I get a nice shake and shudder on my chair with the really low stuff  :D .

How well they extend below 5hz has more to do with your signal chain (and it's all-inclusive rolloff) than how old your version of Crowson is.

1Hz would be very hard to feel, even with a Crowson with a signal chain with little rolloff.  Our bodies feel acceleration, and the lower the frequency, the more the Crowson needs to move to have a significant enough acceleration enough to be felt.  The difference between 5Hz and 1Hz is huge with Crowsons and a decently flat signal chain.  Even the difference between 3Hz and 1Hz is a large leap.  But I still have to work on my signal chain rolloff to be sure...

JSS

Kubo and the Two Strings: DTS-HDMA 5.1

Level - 4 Stars (110.6dB Composite)

Extension - 4 Stars (11Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.1dB)

Execution - TBD

Overall - TBD

Notes - Does clip, mainly in the center channel.  Decent film, interesting animation.  20Hz is used with many large effects for shudder, just like the PvA shows.

post-20-0-60273200-1497471316.jpg

JSS

post-20-0-60273200-1497471316_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have that one, this is what I get for it - http://imgur.com/a/Bin6h

Any idea why your PvA looks so different from what JSS posted above?

Yours appear to be higher resolution (longer window?) but looks smoother, so I don't think it's a resolution issue.  Indeed, the curve shape and levels both look quite a bit different.  Could the difference have to do with how the down-mixing is being done before analysis?

Any idea why your PvA looks so different from what JSS posted above?

Yours appear to be higher resolution (longer window?) but looks smoother, so I don't think it's a resolution issue.  Indeed, the curve shape and levels both look quite a bit different.  Could the difference have to do with how the down-mixing is being done before analysis?

dunno, I downmix using jriver as per http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1333462-new-master-list-bass-movies-frequency-charts.html#post23468771

I just doublechecked the settings, recreated the mono wav and ran it through speclab and my app. I get the same result each time.

I tried another one and got similar results, hacked together a multichannel wav with a sine wave at a different frequency for each channel and ran that through jriver then analysed it, result is a mono wav with a missing channel 4, i.e. no LFE channel in the output. I'm quite sure this used to work so will report over at jriver forum to see what is going on.

edit: see https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,111023.0.html  appears to be some random defect in this particular installation of jriver :|

edit2: turns it out it is a bug in jriver - https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,111023.msg767472.html#msg767472

Kubo and the Two Strings: DTS-HDMA 5.1

Level - 4 Stars (110.6dB Composite)

Extension - 4 Stars (11Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.1dB)

Execution - TBD

Overall - TBD

Notes - Does clip, mainly in the center channel.  Decent film, interesting animation.  20Hz is used with many large effects for shudder, just like the PvA shows.

post-20-0-60273200-1497471316.jpg

JSS

Thanks for measuring it Max. :D

Obviously time can change anything but as of right now this movie sits at the top of my demo disks. It is a kids movie so you can show it to anyone at any time and it digs DEEP and is dynamic. Major thumbs up IMO. 

Obviously time can change anything but as of right now this movie sits at the top of my demo disks. It is a kids movie so you can show it to anyone at any time and it digs DEEP and is dynamic. Major thumbs up IMO.

You mean I don't have to warn people anymore like I do every time I put in John Wick? Lol. I bought Kubu but haven't watched it yet. How To Train Your Dragon is also one of my favorite demo scenes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...