The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

I have that one, this is what I get for it - http://imgur.com/a/Bin6h

Nice!  No humps at all and just a tiny bit of roll-off at the very bottom.  Have you watched it yet?

I would be hesitant to give it 5 stars for execution being that the ULF usage seemed a bit inconsistent.  There were both missed opportunities and places where the ULF seemed out of place.  But the extension isn't confined to one effect like in a lot of movies.  And there's still plenty of power in the rest of the bandwidth.  This had some very powerful transient hits that both kicked in the chest *and* carried a lot of bottom-end weight.

Oh yeah.  The dynamics are very good, and I did not hear any clipping.

1. Level - This is measured by digitally bass-managing the 5.1 or 7.1 signal.  The Level is a composite number, and is calculated by the average of the [1] highest peak in dB (maximum 126dB for 5.1, 128dB for 7.1), [2] the average/RMS dB level of the track (125ms integration time) and [3] the RMS peak level (loudest single 1/8th of a second of the film) in dB.  Full modulation of the waveform is considered to be 0dBFS.  The ratings are as follows:

5 Stars - >112.5dB composite

4 Stars - >110dB composite

3 Stars - >107.5dB composite

2 Stars - >105dB composite

1 Star - <105dB composite

@maxmercy how do you calculate [2]? I don't understand how the integration time relates to a single dB level for the entire track. The time window sounds like it relates to the length of each slice in the spectrogram but then how do you turn that into a single number?

@maxmercy how do you calculate [2]? I don't understand how the integration time relates to a single dB level for the entire track. The time window sounds like it relates to the length of each slice in the spectrogram but then how do you turn that into a single number?

I simply average the three numbers.  The highest peak level in dB, the RMS level of the whole track in dB, and the RMS peak (with a 125ms time window) in dB.  I then average all three numbers.

At the time I created the system, I thought it would give weight to a film with very loud transients (Peak), Lots of loudness overall (RMS), and loud extended sounds (RMS Peak).  So far, it has served well.

I calculate Dynamics by subtracting the overall RMS of the track from the single highest Peak.  I seriously thought about using Crest Factor for Dynamics, but I would have had to re-do a lot of measurements to do that. 

JSS

Anybody want to make bets on how bad the new Transformers movie is going to sound  :D ?

Loud.  I would wager the RMS level approaches 100dB, and all clipped/compressed to Hell, so it even sounds louder on an HTIB/soundbar.  I seriously hope the crew from TF2 did the sound for this one, then it might have a chance.

JSS

Loud.  I would wager the RMS level approaches 100dB, and all clipped/compressed to Hell, so it even sounds louder on an HTIB/soundbar.  I seriously hope the crew from TF2 did the sound for this one, then it might have a chance.

JSS

Don't get your hopes up on that.  Greg P. Russell has mixed the effects on all the previous Transformer movies and every Michael Bay movie since Bad Boys so it's almost guaranteed he's doing this one too.

Logan (DTS-HDMA 7.1)

Level - 4 Stars (111.2dB Composite)

Extension - 3 Stars (16Hz)

Dynamics -  5 Stars (30.12dB)

Execution - TBD

Overall - TBD

Notes: Terrific film, one of the best of the X-Men series, IMO.  Could have dug deeper in extension, but really didn't have to as it was quite a compelling story.

post-20-0-67213000-1496356195.jpg

JSS

post-20-0-67213000-1496356195_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Logan (DTS-HDMA 7.1)

Level - 4 Stars (111.2dB Composite)

Extension - 3 Stars (16Hz)

Dynamics -  5 Stars (30.12dB)

Execution - TBD

Overall - TBD

Notes: Terrific film, one of the best of the X-Men series, IMO.  Could have dug deeper in extension, but really didn't have to as it was quite a compelling story.

post-20-0-67213000-1496356195.jpg

JSS

I saw this in a local Dolby Cinema and was very impressed with the Atmos mix and overall sound, along with the movie as a whole.  Are there specific scenes that really throttle the 20Hz range creating the spike we see in the graph?

The 20Hz is an extended effect in one scene, and used again at the end of the film for some weight to transients.  In the one scene, the 20Hz information is partially masked by other, HF information playing at the same time.

As far as the clipping: there are some flat-tops, but not nearly as bad as other films.

How do we do "spoiler" posts?

JSS

I recommend "Kubo and the Two Strings".  The bass in this is the real deal.  Trust me.

Edit: It's a pretty good movie too.

Yes! I've got a few screen caps at low volume for now...but the movie's LFE is so good that I already purchased the Blu-Ray and I'll  crank it up and post higher volume level screen caps after the movie gets here. :)

PS: I'm going to Shazam that song at the very end. It is no joke! 

• Like 1