The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Yes. Both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X are 100% backwards compatible with audio systems that do not support either of their native decoding with zero loss of content.

All the content that are "objects" are folded into the 7.1ch layer upon encoding. It is then part of the 7.1ch layer as standard and anyone can playback the 7.1 layer with no loss in content. It is the Atmos/DTS:X decoder that then extracts these objects (via metadata) and then properly places them within the surround system where ever they belong. Objects are not only in heights. There are objects that will be present in any speaker location.

An "object" can be anything of any size (spill into more than one speaker location at a time) and they can even be static (not moving). They are simply content that is not bound to a "channel" in the encode/decode process.

Given how badly recent stuff (including Batman) has been slated for poor / non-existent / inconsistent bass and/or clipping, I would like to think our despair is reaching those making decisions - and perhaps the reason why we then get unexpected surprises like this one! :)

I'm going more with happy accident...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.  Maybe I am just not tuned to it, my system doesn't play it, or I just don't know what it sounds like but I just could not hear clipping in CA:CW.  I still don't know why they follow the pattern of that steep roll off.  I still enjoyed how it sounded and felt with my system and Crowson.  I hope X Men is a little better.  

I still don't know why they follow the pattern of that steep roll off.

Because ALL modern feature films have their sound mixes made in a room that is an analog to the cinema theater room that you or anybody else will see the movie at.

What kind of bass system does every movie theater on Earth have? They all have resonant alignments tuned ~30hz. That's why.

Man, I wish the old BagEnd systems would be brought back to mixing stages,  Rolloff in the low teens/tweens, and dual 18" subs on the LCRs to monitor infrasound in those channels......22 18" drivers per mixing stage.....no longer, AFAIK.

Anyone else see the video here?

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/138-avs-foruma-podcasts/2561913-mixing-atmos.html

Near the beginning there is some good video of a re-recording room.  We are told that it is used for both theatrical and home mixes.  The theatrical mixes are done with behind screen Meyer Sound speakers installed into a baffle wall, and presumably there are cinema subs back there too.  (No idea what extension.)  The home mixes are done with a near-field setup using much smaller standalone speakers.  On the one hand, the room looks a bit too small for the acoustic conditions required to do theatrical mixes.  On the other, the near-field setup looks woefully under-capable.  It looks like there's a pair of small subs that are also run near-field.  At least they are sealed, but I can't imagine them keeping up with low frequency demands even at the reduced levels used for home mixes.

Still, that room was apparently used to do the home mix for "John Wick", which appears to be well received around here, so it can't be all that bad in the hands of a skilled re-recording mixer.  The room itself is gorgeous to look at and has what appears to be a custom ceiling diffusion design intended to work down into the bass.  I'd love to have that room, even though I'd just chuck the near-fields out do everything with the Meyers and extra subs if needed.  :)

Anyone else see the video here?

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/138-avs-foruma-podcasts/2561913-mixing-atmos.html

Near the beginning there is some good video of a re-recording room.  We are told that it is used for both theatrical and home mixes.  The theatrical mixes are done with behind screen Meyer Sound speakers installed into a baffle wall, and presumably there are cinema subs back there too.  (No idea what extension.)  The home mixes are done with a near-field setup using much smaller standalone speakers.  On the one hand, the room looks a bit too small for the acoustic conditions required to do theatrical mixes.  On the other, the near-field setup looks woefully under-capable.  It looks like there's a pair of small subs that are also run near-field.  At least they are sealed, but I can't imagine them keeping up with low frequency demands even at the reduced levels used for home mixes.

Still, that room was apparently used to do the home mix for "John Wick", which appears to be well received around here, so it can't be all that bad in the hands of a skilled re-recording mixer.  The room itself is gorgeous to look at and has what appears to be a custom ceiling diffusion design intended to work down into the bass.  I'd love to have that room, even though I'd just chuck the near-fields out do everything with the Meyers and extra subs if needed.  :)

They probably do near field mixes with a system that reflects the majority of what's out there, i.e. cheaper HTIB ones.  Much as we wish otherwise the vast majority of listeners do not have good subwoofers.  I'm not arguing whether this approach is artistically 'right' (I'd argue it isn't) but we're not making the business decisions at the studios.

Man, I wish the old BagEnd systems would be brought back to mixing stages,  Rolloff in the low teens/tweens, and dual 18" subs on the LCRs to monitor infrasound in those channels......22 18" drivers per mixing stage.....no longer, AFAIK.

JSS

I know...

Nope. They were gutted and replaced with higher output gear. There is very little to no interest in "that world" for more bass extension beyond 20-30hz.

There are just way too many people to convince otherwise to change out and upgrade. Ain't going to happen any time soon. :(

I just enjoy the good bass that we do get on home video. :)