Photo

The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

Bass Movies Bass Movie Measurements Deep Bass Movies Bass Waterfall Graphs Bass Graphs

• Please log in to reply
3856 replies to this topic

#2821 Shredhead

Shredhead

Ultra Member

• Super Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:54 AM

...And I guess my next question would be why are some mixes leaving so much headroom in the LFE/summed LCR channels?  I wonder if they are taking into account that many consumer playback systems are not setup to leave headroom for a worst case hot mix on the sub out. 

• Braifaraglisp likes this

#2822 3ll3d00d

3ll3d00d

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:52 AM

There should be a difference in levels of around 4dB going by the rating but I think the voltage out shows a bigger difference. I went to a voltage to voltage level calculator like this: http://www.sengpiela...tor-db-volt.htm and when typing in the 2 peak voltages it shows a difference of almost 10dBV.

I guess I have no idea what the composite levels in dB are related to. Will someone please help me understand this?

The method for calculating the composite rating is in http://data-bass.ipb...music-etc/?p=86
I would think the difference will be that the composite rating considers the whole film not just the most aggressive scenes. I don't see that there would be any difference between a actual voltage based reading and one based on dBFS as long as both are clean and you use an equivalent reference for the max signal.

#2823 Aijan

Aijan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:37 PM

Just watched Slumdog Millionaire. Didn't expect much in the bass department, but pleasantly surprised: loud, powerful midbass with some ULF thrown in. No wonder it got an Oscar for sound mixing. Would love to see it measured.

#2824 xXWiNXx

xXWiNXx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:29 AM

Hello all. Somebody have a graph for birdman?

#2825 MemX

MemX

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:50 PM

DareDevil is in the queue.

But I have an announcement: 2012 ended with a BANG. Here's Looper:

LooperTitleBlock_zps04f9ed81.JPG

LooperPvA_zps2e3b8f29.JPG

Looper1_zpsc85c0f9d.JPG

Looper2_zps6e5de6e2.JPG

Looper3_zps7c10163f.JPG

Level - 4 Stars (111.27dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (7 Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.49dB)
Execution - 5 Stars - This film has it all, the sub-20Hz stuff was used sparingly and effectively, some great upper bass punch as well. it curiously looks like Underworld:Awakening, with the 28Hz spike in Avg level. I am glad 2012 rebounded with a few excellent MWBs.

Overall - 4.75 Stars!

Recommendation - I say Buy. This is a very unique take on time travel, and it is not just a graphics festival.

JSS

Just watched this tonight - it finally got cheap enough for cheap me to buy ;) lol

Thoroughly agree with the assessment!  Punchy gunshots, very dynamic transients between scenes, some powerful effects digging deep when needed - and it was a good storyline, albeit not super-cheery lol

Definitely one to buy if you haven't already :)

#2826 MiniHT

MiniHT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:01 PM

Agreed^^  I haven't seen this in a while, but I remember the word "dynamic" came to mind when I watched it as well.  One of my favorite scenes for bass is actually one that's never really talked about.  It's after the very first gunshot, in the very beginning.  It lasts from after that first gunshot all the way until he meets Beatrice in the diner.  My chairs sway back and forth.. and it's not all that subtle if you listen at reference.  It feels like I'm sitting on JELLO.  I remember seeing a graph over at the other site.. it was "blips" of 3-6hz iirc with nothing else going on.  Very, very cool stuff.. It gave that very ominous, "sense of doom" kind of feeling for me.  Would love to see that part graphed if anyone has the chance..

#2827 MemX

MemX

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:16 PM

Agreed^^  I haven't seen this in a while, but I remember the word "dynamic" came to mind when I watched it as well.  One of my favorite scenes for bass is actually one that's never really talked about.  It's after the very first gunshot, in the very beginning.  It lasts from after that first gunshot all the way until he meets Beatrice in the diner.  My chairs sway back and forth.. and it's not all that subtle if you listen at reference.  It feels like I'm sitting on JELLO.  I remember seeing a graph over at the other site.. it was "blips" of 3-6hz iirc with nothing else going on.  Very, very cool stuff.. It gave that very ominous, "sense of doom" kind of feeling for me.  Would love to see that part graphed if anyone has the chance..

Looks like this might be the post you're talking about?

http://www.avsforum....ml#post23149005

(posted by flageborg)

Looper_ch1.jpg

#2828 Reefdvr27

Reefdvr27

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:51 PM

SME,

No comparison to TF5 was implied, I was just saying that whatever headroom is made available, Michael Bay will use it, and clip it.

Real Steel was not very good, IMO, film or bass...  the dialogue had reverb in it at times, so much so I had to check I didn't have some kind of 'hall' or 'cathedral' setting mistakenly applied on the AVR.   

JSS

I really liked Real Steel, Actually the whole family liked it. To be honest I have not watched it in along time and did not see it with any of my current equipment. I remember it having some bass moments, but again I will have to pull that one out and watch it again. 

I just picked up Back Sea. Any bass to be found in this one? Don't know anything about it,  just sounded cool. 

#2829 MiniHT

MiniHT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:13 PM

MemX,

That's it! Thanks for digging that one up, man. 

#2830 manninen

manninen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:48 PM

Could someone measure this. Holly cole -Train song

#2831 MemX

MemX

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:05 AM

MemX,

That's it! Thanks for digging that one up, man. 

No worries, I was intrigued and it was more fun finding it than doing work at work ;) lol

I will have to re-listen to that scene - I'm certain I'm not getting the full effect but will check!

#2832 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 10:39 AM

Black Sea (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (108.65dB composite)
Extension - 2 Stars (22Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.96dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.25 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

PvA:

post-17-0-40818700-1431686253.png

#2833 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:16 PM

Mission Impossible (DD 5.1 @ 640KBPS)

Level        - 1 Star (103.37dB composite)
Extension - 1 Star (34Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.38dB)

Execution - 1 Star (by poll)

Overall     - 2 Stars

Notes:  This track is clipped, which is shocking given its low levels.  PvA looks about like we might expect, and the corresponding sound also matches this film's age.

PvA:

post-17-0-83243600-1431788629.png

#2834 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:17 PM

Mission Impossible II (DD 5.1 @ 640KBPS)

Level        - 2 Stars (105.54dB composite)
Extension - 1 Star (27Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (27.62dB)

Execution - 1 Star (by poll)

Overall     - 2.25 Stars

Notes:  This track is also clipped.  

PvA:

post-17-0-77302000-1431788842.png

#2835 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:17 PM

Mission Impossible III (DD 5.1 @ 640KBPS)

Level        - 1 Star (104.31dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars 1Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (27.9dB)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

Recommendation - Tossup

Notes:  This track is again clipped, but starts out with full bandwidth content.  Surprisingly, there is a fair amount below 20Hz throughout.  Nothing very hot, though, aside from those 1-5Hz spikes.

PvA:

post-17-0-72316700-1431789058.png

#2836 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:28 PM

Here's the 4.75 Star MI4 - Ghost Protocol for comparison.

#2837 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:29 PM

Eragon (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (109.55dB composite)
Extension - 2 Stars (20.3Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.25dB)

Overall     - 3.25 Stars

Recommendation - Tossup

Notes:  Many of the effects are full bandwidth.  It's a shame the movie is so bad, because the book was decent.  That spike at 34Hz is clipped.

PvA:

post-17-0-05186900-1431789864.png

#2838 Shredhead

Shredhead

Ultra Member

• Super Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 12:11 AM

Could someone measure this. Holly cole -Train song

The bass player is wacky.

Attached Files

#2839 saginawjuggalo

saginawjuggalo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:24 AM

Holly Cole - Train Song [Audacity reading]

Attached Files

#2840 Madaeel

Madaeel

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:51 PM

Hey I checked this scene out after you posted and at reference with the subs 15db hot I still got nothing from this scene. I have roll off below 10hz and although the content was there just nowhere near anything to feel it. My amp was barely flickering too which means it didn't see much there. Curious what gear you were running and how hot your subs were to feel that?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users