Photo

The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

Bass Movies Bass Movie Measurements Deep Bass Movies Bass Waterfall Graphs Bass Graphs

• Please log in to reply
3923 replies to this topic

#2641 raynist

raynist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:03 AM

Thanks for the recent graphs!

I knew Lucy went pretty deep.

There are certain rattles in my room I only hear when the bass is under 10hz
  • Braifaraglisp likes this

#2642 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:56 AM

The Equalizer (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (111.8dB composite)
Extension - 2 Stars (23Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (31.56dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes:  This might as well be Man on Fire 2.  That doesn't mean it's a bad movie, as it was entertaining until the very last scene which was, unlike the rest of the movie, poorly scripted, stiffly delivered, arbitrary and unnecessary.

As for the bass, it's really not bad.  There's not much in the first half of the movie, but the second half ramps up in a big way.  It has the content, just rolled off, and It barely missed a 19Hz rating for extension.  Overall, it's a worthwhile movie, but not an allstar for bass unless you like midbass and droning 39Hz stuff.

PvA:

post-17-0-79893200-1422240881.png

#2643 raynist

raynist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:11 AM

Thanks for the equalizer graph.

I see a spike at 11hz that looks like it is louder than anything up until 27hz, why does this get a 23hz rating?

#2644 Toe

Toe

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:18 AM

While only on DVD though Netflix (looks like you can buy the blu though Amazon), I would love to see the Alien Abduction DD 5.1 track measured. This track subjectively had quite a bit of loud ~10-15hz bass if I had to guess. Very curious to see it measured if you guys happen to get a chance. Thanks!

#2645 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:23 AM

Thanks for the equalizer graph.

I see a spike at 11hz that looks like it is louder than anything up until 27hz, why does this get a 23hz rating?

Look at the 54Hz spike (green) and the 29Hz spike (red).  It's the -10dB point on either red or green traces, whichever results in the better rating. 

While only on DVD though Netflix (looks like you can buy the blu though Amazon), I would love to see the Alien Abduction DD 5.1 track measured. This track subjectively had quite a bit of loud ~10-15hz bass if I had to guess. Very curious to see it measured if you guys happen to get a chance. Thanks!

I have the BR, and I'll measure the 5.1 DTS-HD MA mix in the near future.

• Toe likes this

#2646 raynist

raynist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:29 AM

Look at the 54Hz spike (green) and the 29Hz spike (red).  It's the -10dB point on either red or green traces, whichever results in the better rating. 

Thanks, so if this didn't have that crazy spike at 54hz it would have been rated down into the teens?

#2647 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:33 AM

Yep, if the spike at 54Hz was 5dB lower, this would have been rated at 10.5Hz.

But, I think it's kinda moot because there were maybe two effects at that frequency, and both were part of the

Spoiler

It's not like the rest of the movie was full of content in the bottom couple octaves.

#2648 raynist

raynist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:38 AM

Yep, if the spike at 54Hz was 5dB lower, this would have been rated at 10.5Hz.

But, I think it's kinda moot because there were maybe two effects at that frequency, and both were part of the

Spoiler

It's not like the rest of the movie was full of content in the bottom couple octaves.

Cool, thanks.

You know what is kind of funny? You used the spoiler function but when it showed in my email the while txt showed :)

Not that i care, I'll forget it by the time I watch it.

#2649 Toe

Toe

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:17 AM

Cool, thanks.

#2650 MemX

MemX

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:17 PM

I pasted the list on the first page from the spreadsheet so it retains the original list.  Let me know if there are any errors.  Gonna bring it up to date now. Don't have a copy of the first post methodology and explanation, though.

I'll work on putting back the methodology in a day or two.

JSS

Thanks Guys, we appreciate your efforts! :)

#2651 Shredhead

Shredhead

Ultra Member

• Super Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:28 PM

The Equalizer's extension, 2 stars?  How does this rank lower than TMNT or GotG?  :huh:

b360afa733a7f9dbdb1687164a6ad1bd.png

#2652 bmoney

bmoney

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:51 PM

The Equalizer's extension, 2 stars?  How does this rank lower than TMNT or GotG?  :huh:

b360afa733a7f9dbdb1687164a6ad1bd.png

yeah something isnt right

#2653 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:11 PM

Nothing is amiss.  It's just that the huge hit at 54Hz creates an inescapable burden on the green trace, and the average content isn't enough to garner a higher rating.  It's rating is appropriate, colorful scenecaps notwithstanding.  The Equalizer had some nice, loud moments, but it's not a monster by any stretch.

#2654 Shredhead

Shredhead

Ultra Member

• Super Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:26 AM

I must be misunderstanding what extension means then.  The strongest hit at 54Hz discounts the content at 5Hz?  Never said it was a monster, I'm just confused why this would get the same extension rating as say Godzilla which has a blank screen at 5Hz on the waterfall. 

#2655 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:28 PM

Even if there's content everywhere on the graph, extension is measured at the -10dB point on either peak or average traces - whichever results in a better rating.  Been this way since the beginning.  :)

I often think -10dB is too generous.  Sometimes rather inconsequential effects result in a much better rating than the movie deserves - it's rare, but it does happen. The Equalizer has two very minor (short duration, small bandwidth) effect components  of note below 15Hz that are masked by concurrent higher frequency effect components at higher levels. 

In your scenecap of the tanker explosion, the 10.5Hz component is a whopping 14dB below the 54Hz component of the effects (albeit 15s later, though concurrently that 10.5Hz has a bunch from 35-60Hz to contend with).  Even the 17-19Hz components of that scene are ~11dB below the 54Hz stuff.  I'm not saying it's completely irrelevant, but it's close.  The second scenecap has essentially nothing below 15Hz.

The average trace really tells the story - the mix has little content below 19Hz, on average.  If you like the movie and the bass in the mix, it's all good. But, it's not like The Equalizer's Tanker Explosion scene is in the same league as Olympus Has Fallen's Washington Monument scene, the Hulk vs. Abomination scene, the How To Train Your Dragon Dragon Crash scene, or the War of the World's Pods Emerge scene.

#2656 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,851 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:22 PM

Every measurement system will have films the 'fall through the cracks'.  I think we objectively capture how much LF a film has most of the time with the system we have.  That's why the Execution category exists to help shore some of that up, but some films will simply be a great watch, but not score as highly as some would like, Star-Wise.  I know I have my own '5-Star' list....

JSS

#2657 Bossobass Dave

Bossobass Dave

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:12 PM

2f765106b8715b33ac129ecdce20e626.png

I gave this movie top honors for 2014. Not a chance I would do that if it's extension is 23 Hz. :rolleyes:

Yes, you can clearly see the big spike at 54 Hz (actually, it's a dual spike at around 52.X & 53.X Hz), but when the floor ripples, there's plenty of <20 Hz content.

The low end effects in this movie rival any movie in my collection for originality, variety and extension. It just isn't a constant drone of low end like some enjoy more, but there is no category for minutes of LFE per minutes of length of movie. Plus, the scene in ch 13, worth the price of admission in itself, is nearly a minute of mayhem.

For comparison's sake, the FOTP scene that makes it a 5 star movie lasts 1/2 as long. It has some content below everyone's radar and a spike at 32 Hz, but not much else in the scene or in the rest of the movie.

I understand that metrics and anomalies co-exist. I'm just sayin' don't let the ratings fool you on this one. It has the goods and it's a tad better movie to watch than the FOTPs of the cinema world. ;)

• Fatshaft likes this

#2658 Infrasonic

Infrasonic

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:29 PM

Exactly. I wonder often if the way some categories are rated needs some rethinking.

A quick glance at the PvA for Equalizer shows it is very well extending in bass but gets a '2' in extension. Others like Lone Survivor get a '5' yet show that it rolls off ~30hz but with a couple of handful of high intensity effects skew the whole rating.

Anymore I have to ignore the number rating for these movies and have to go off the PvA (as I always have).

#2659 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:09 PM

Are you guys forgetting that the red trace, or the average, is showing precisely how much content is there?  This one rolls off steadily, albeit not as steeply as some, from 39Hz on down.  On average, there's just not much content in The Equalizer below 20Hz.  That's not interpretation, that's an analytical measure of the retail BD's content.  What's interpretation is how much we like it, which is what the execution score's for, as maxmercy said.  :)

Check this out.  These were all measured with exactly the same settings.  Look at the red trace, and compare it for yourself:

Comparison.gif

#2660 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:59 PM

Fury (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (111dB composite)
Extension - 1 Star (31Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.14dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Notes:  If it weren't for that one blip at 38Hz, this would be a 1Hz movie, because of a blip at 1.5Hz.  Otherwise, it's rolled off pretty consistently from 34Hz.  Good weight to some ofthe 50cal and front tank guns, but not what you'd expect for so many explosions and such heavy equipment.

I liked the movie, though.

PvA:

post-17-0-98526600-1422403005.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users