Photo

The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

Bass Movies Bass Movie Measurements Deep Bass Movies Bass Waterfall Graphs Bass Graphs

• Please log in to reply
3856 replies to this topic

#2621 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,833 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:40 PM

I distinctly remember the same thing being said of Avengers. As nube pointed out above, I do not think this was the re-recording team's doing, as FilmMixer has stated that he does not highpass tracks, and I for one am thankful that he and other mixers don't highpass. It probably happened somewhere else in the chain. Given most re-recording teams' lack of monitoring capability below 20Hz, I am not sure they would be aware of ULF content unless they would look at waveforms or FFT, as any intelligent amplification scheme would highpass vented subwoofer monitoring systems.

The sound design and editing teams may be aware of the bandwidth limitations of the playback systems, and may have highpassed the effects themselves to conserve available digital headroom...but who knows. I just hope it isn't clipped/compressed. I will definitely look at the track for BEQ.

JSS

• Braifaraglisp likes this

#2622 Infrasonic

Infrasonic

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:33 PM

You got it, John.

People need to hang up the "this was highpassed for the lowest common denominator, people with HTiB's." Nope. Nobody in the production is even thinking about them. Those systems always have hardcore limiters anyway. No, they are monitoring on a typical cinema system. The bottom end is ~30hz hence why we see so many movies with the most energy around there. It's also a very impressive sounding frequency range.

Effects don't all have natural ULF in them. That's why they are called 'effects'. They are not real. While they might derive from real sounds they are also heavily modified and synthesized. The person creating the SFX might knock out the ULF because of extraneous noise, rumble and such.

Obviously this isn't always the case as we do get some real low hitters every once in a while.

#2623 Kvalsvoll

Kvalsvoll

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:33 PM

Yes, it's graphed. I'll post it on release day, but it's very similar in response to Riddick, with more level from 60-120Hz, and slightly shallower rolloff below 16Hz, plus the spike at 1.5Hz.  As Scott said, it has plenty of midbass punch, which contributes a lot.

It still sounds very good and dynamic.  It's just missing that really deep weight that we logically expect big, heavy things and loud explosions to have.  The action depicted on screen has that weight in real life.

If this had the gunshots of Open Range, the mechanical bass effects of B:LA, and the environmental bass effects from WOTW, combined with the mixing artistry of Marc & company, we'd have a true legendary mix.  Of course, I guess you could say the same about nearly all movies.

Long story short, it's not a disappointment to anyone but the bottom dwellers around here.  B)  Ported systems will get a real workout, whereas sealed systems will be loafing along, but I think most will still like the movie and the mix.

I would say this looks very good, certainly not disappointing.

ULF extension is one parameter, but the overall sound quality is what matters the most, and if dynamics are lost no ulf shake can bring back the sense of life and realism. 

If they used sound effects made up from real recording clips, it is a very good chance that the ulf can be recovered. 

We have already shown that this is the case for many films now.

My audio blog - kvalsvoll.blogspot.com

#2624 Kvalsvoll

Kvalsvoll

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:37 PM

Effects don't all have natural ULF in them.

Oh, they do.

But not necessarily always very loud and ground-shaking.

When ulf is preserved there is a much more involving sense of huge scale and atmosphere.

And the you have the occasional moment with louder impacts.

#2625 raynist

raynist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:24 AM

Has anyone graphed Lucy yet?

Just watched it this evening and am thinking it is not filtered. Certain things in my room seem to shake at very low frequencies and it happened quite a bit in this movie.

#2626 SME

SME

Super Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:06 AM

I just watched a trailer for the horror movie "The Babadook".  It sounded like it had a pretty heavy low end.  Hopefully that bass finds its way into the Blu-ray release.  The effects I heard in the trailer were brilliant.  By all appearances, this is actually a decent movie to watch, too.

#2627 Infrasonic

Infrasonic

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:00 PM

Oh, they do.

But not necessarily always very loud and ground-shaking.

When ulf is preserved there is a much more involving sense of huge scale and atmosphere.

And the you have the occasional moment with louder impacts.

That's what I meant.

And... I know. ULF is great. I've got that down pretty well, actually.

#2628 BeastAudio

BeastAudio

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:53 PM

That's what I meant.

Haha, YOU? Nah, you ain't got no stinkin' ULF. 

Badges_f2d31e_360956.jpg

#2629 Infrasonic

Infrasonic

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:47 PM

You're right. I'd need some ported subs, I think. Right?

:P

#2630 Kvalsvoll

Kvalsvoll

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:07 PM

That's what I meant.

I see my post could easily be misunderstood as a "correction" on your statement, which was not what I intended, it was meant to be more as a confirmation of what you said. 

Differences in how the effects are created and processed often cause problems for Bass-EQ, because some effects can have good spectral balance and ulf level, while others on the same track could need some eq down low.

This will of course lead to compromises as they are all on the same track, mixed together, in the final soundtrack while playing, everything will get the same Bass-EQ processing.

#2631 Aj72

Aj72

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:27 AM

Nube was right about the ported crowd being pleased with Fury and then some. Right in the sweet spot for me and some demo worthy material in amongst it. I really loved the clean presentation and variety. A couple of scenes shared similarities with Flight of the Phoenix barrel roll with a pressurising of the room only not as sustained. Very cool though. Filmmixer has done a great job on this one IMO. Equaliser up next.

#2632 Aj72

Aj72

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:30 AM

Equalizer was good but Fury was better today IMO. Back to back and after the assault of Fury this morning I thought the Equalizer not as clean but certainly had some long, powerful moments if not the variety. I rented the Equalizer and I'm not completely sure it wasn't ripped?

#2633 raynist

raynist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:26 PM

I wanted to check and see if any of these movies are in the queue to be graphed/votes on:

Equalizer
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Lucy
Box Trolls
Planes: Fire and Rescue

I already bought all of these but would still be interested to see how low they go.

#2634 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:15 PM

I pasted the list on the first page from the spreadsheet so it retains the original list.  Let me know if there are any errors.  Gonna bring it up to date now. Don't have a copy of the first post methodology and explanation, though.

#2635 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,833 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:14 PM

I'll work on putting back the methodology in a day or two.

JSS

#2636 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:01 PM

Lucy (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 2 Stars (106.45dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (7Hz)
Dynamics - 3 Stars (24.7dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes:  Pretty average action flick.  Some good bass moments, but very low levels across the entire mix.  Not at all a dynamic mix, contrary to what a bunch of review sites claim.  You'll have to bump this one +5 or so over normal to get it to really fly.

PvA:

post-17-0-76647200-1422223125.png

#2637 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:33 PM

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) (7.1 TrueHD)

Level        - 4 Stars (110.97dB composite)
Extension - 3 Stars (19Hz)
Dynamics - 4 Stars (25.72dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

Notes:  The bass was pretty poorly executed, imho.  There was some of it, and on two effects it dips below 20Hz with a slight bit of authority, but the movie is so cheesy that it was hard to watch - mostly only kids would like TMNT.

PvA:

post-17-0-09052700-1422225086.png

#2638 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:44 PM

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (108.96dB composite)
Extension - 2 Stars (21Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.7dB)

Execution - 2 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Notes:  Solid movie.  Weak bass.

PvA:

post-17-0-68672400-1422225726.png

#2639 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:09 PM

Planes: Fire and Rescue (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 2 Stars (107.26dB composite)
Extension - 1 Star (26Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.63dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 2.75 Stars

PvA:

post-17-0-37350800-1422227270.png

#2640 SME

SME

Super Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:58 PM

What's with all these recent mixes that hump at 40 Hz?  I guess big hits at 40 Hz sound more impressive than big hits at 30 Hz, and it's all about loudness now?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users