The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Does anybody on this site have Atmos yet or is it just me? B)

Oh wait.... a lot of youz still running 5.1 audio. espLlDI.gif

How dare you. :D

I looked on the back of the San Andreas bluray to try to find out the soundtrack description but all it said was Atmos.  I was curious about what it defaults to for us single plane peasants, TrueHD or DTS MA and how many discrete tracks.  The menu was no help either.  Anyone know the story on this? 

How dare you. :D

I looked on the back of the San Andreas bluray to try to find out the soundtrack description but all it said was Atmos.  I was curious about what it defaults to for us single plane peasants, TrueHD or DTS MA and how many discrete tracks.  The menu was no help either.  Anyone know the story on this? 

The consumer version of Atmos is adaptable and backwards compatible with "legacy" decoders. When you playback an Atmos TrueHD soundtrack on a "legacy" system, it will see the entire soundtrack as a conventional 7.1 track. No content is lost. All of the objects in a Dolby Atmos encoding are folded into the legacy 7.1 carrier and when presented with an Atmos decoder these objects are rendered to their appropriate location(s).

So at worst you get a nice 7.1 track. Works very well.

Just FYI ... Atmos can only be decoded through bitstream output as TrueHD or DD+. If you are sending your audio via PCM then you will not be able to decode the Atmos stream. Still, in that case, no content is lost but no objects will be rendered correctly either.

Thankfully all this stuff works very well so even though it is the default track on the disc there is no required action from the user either way.

Don't quote me on this but I believe the Atmos mixes defaulted to DTS 7.1 on an Atmos mix I watched the other day. I'll check tonight to make sure.

Hey Scott f you you elitist sommabitch! You and your fancy Atmos. :angry: Btw what are you using for the overhead channels?

Bwahaah! :D

For the time being I'm using my previous surround speakers which are Emotiva ERD-1's. It's not what I would prefer but it was the most free-er choice than buying/building more speakers on budget that has flat-lined. *sad face* Eventually I will install something better than these lil things.

And yes, you are correct. No Atmos, no problem! You git 7.1 audio, boy! :D But it doesn't come out as DTS. Lol, that would be awkward. ;):P

Those Emo's aren't bad. Atmos overheads are not full range yet anyway are they? Specs? Oops just saw they require full range which I imagine you still cross at 80hz.

So even if the processor can't decode Atmos it won't default to a codec other than DD 7.1?

Meh. Not my first choice. They are okay. I bought them a way back cuz they were cheap and I wanted to try bipole/dipole speakers at the time. Thankfully they are switchable.

Yes, the new "channels" for Atmos are full range. You treat these new speakers exactly like any other speaker and bass manage as appropriate. Most would consider them as additional surrounds. That's how I'd look at them.

No it won't because it's a Dolby codec. Dolby Atmos is delivered inside the TrueHD carrier. There is additional metadata hidden inside but the audible content is not lost or discarded if you do not have an Atmos capable processor. So being TrueHD ... you will get .... TrueHD. Wouldn't make sense for a Dolby Atmos track to decode as DTS Master Audio.

When presented with a Dolby Atmos track on Blu-ray you get: Dolby Atmos. When you can not decode Dolby Atmos you get TrueHD 7.1 audio. When you can't decode TrueHD you will get a DD 5.1 track. When you can't decode DD 5.1 you will get ... uummm.... stereo. When you can't decode stereo, you probably have the mute turned on or have things hooked up wrong. When you can't decode stereo properly then you should start to evaluate this hobby some. ;):P

Just finished watching the Jurassic flick. There's low end in it, but the movie is for 3 year olds, IMO.

Other than the big 'osaurs, the movie is a giant snooze. Where's Jeff Goldblum when you need him?

Got my copy (finally!) last night but didn't have time to watch it. I'll watch it tonight.

Saw it twice in theaters. I didn't love it but I didn't dislike it. Definitely felt more kiddy than the original movies did.

Wow. I'm genuinely surprised about Jurassic World. I ... still haven't got my copy yet. Was supposed to be here two days ago. :rolleyes:

Not surprised by San Andreas. I said it was nuts and it was.... loud! Still shook the place pretty good for 20hz extension. The Atmos mix was pretty good. Does anybody on this site have Atmos yet or is it just me? B)

nope I have atmos in my HT for a year now...:)

JSS

Man I was f'n dying watching that! :lol:  :lol:  Thx for that Max. Though it did also make me wonder how in the hell I sat through the whole thing?? Plus my wife, who never watches anything with me, stayed and so did my step-daughter. I was thinking the whole time "any minute now they're gonna get up and walk out on this movie". Nope. Sat through that pos they called a movie with me.

To top it all off.....I had the SEQSS set to 18hz. :angry:  :angry:

Meh. Not my first choice. They are okay. I bought them a way back cuz they were cheap and I wanted to try bipole/dipole speakers at the time. Thankfully they are switchable.

Yes, the new "channels" for Atmos are full range. You treat these new speakers exactly like any other speaker and bass manage as appropriate. Most would consider them as additional surrounds. That's how I'd look at them.

No it won't because it's a Dolby codec. Dolby Atmos is delivered inside the TrueHD carrier. There is additional metadata hidden inside but the audible content is not lost or discarded if you do not have an Atmos capable processor. So being TrueHD ... you will get .... TrueHD. Wouldn't make sense for a Dolby Atmos track to decode as DTS Master Audio.

When presented with a Dolby Atmos track on Blu-ray you get: Dolby Atmos. When you can not decode Dolby Atmos you get TrueHD 7.1 audio. When you can't decode TrueHD you will get a DD 5.1 track. When you can't decode DD 5.1 you will get ... uummm.... stereo. When you can't decode stereo, you probably have the mute turned on or have things hooked up wrong. When you can't decode stereo properly then you should start to evaluate this hobby some. ;):P

Got my copy (finally!) last night but didn't have time to watch it. I'll watch it tonight.

Saw it twice in theaters. I didn't love it but I didn't dislike it. Definitely felt more kiddy than the original movies did.

Well I just meant the processor would choose another codec, not derive DTS from the DD track. I know some movies have both a DD and DTS track. I almost always choose the DTS track anyway I just wondered if the processor, if not able to decode ATMOS, would select a default track. I see what you're saying though and that makes sense.

As far as the overheads go I doubt you need much more than the Emo's anyway. My JBL's are fantastic for surround crossed at 80hz and I'd use their in-ceiling speakers for the ATMOS channels. Btw just checked out a house with 9ft ceilings in the basement. ATMOS and riser here I come. :D

Wow. I'm genuinely surprised about Jurassic World. I ... still haven't got my copy yet. Was supposed to be here two days ago. :rolleyes:

Not surprised by San Andreas. I said it was nuts and it was.... loud! Still shook the place pretty good for 20hz extension. The Atmos mix was pretty good. Does anybody on this site have Atmos yet or is it just me? B)

You know I got that Atmos brah! 

We found Pixels to be no sillier a premise than Avengers or Mad Max or Jurassic World and typical of the majority of the Adam Sandler library.

As a MWB, the caps speak for themselves. More specifically, the low end effects, which you can see are extremely wide bandwidth, are quite unique and easily discernible as such when audibly scrutinized. It's a heavyweight. I don't know about the level because my system is in test flux and not calibrated and my PC for SL and REW is being replaced and not on line, so I inquired above because it might be required pre-info before the bassheads grab this one and let it rip. ;)

Sound design and re-recording mixer Steve Boeddeker who did sound design for Tron:Legacy, Hellboy and X-Men has been around the block, working his way up. He goes back to the 90s, including Sound Effects Editor credit for Fight Club. Looking forward to more Design/Mix work from this guy.

Pixels is a contender for MWB of the year, IMO, script/score/acting quality notwithstanding.

• Like 2

More specifically, the low end effects, which you can see are extremely wide bandwidth, are quite unique and easily discernible as such when audibly scrutinized. It's a heavyweight.

This is the REAL thing.

Listen, feel and experience how much better and powerful and balanced the sound is, when you have full frequency range extension.

If this shows the current trend, the future will bring many great movie experiences. 

If it isn't loud enough, just turn it up. From the few scenes I viewed it sounds pretty good, not too loud, no distorted mess, and the B.A.S.S....  

• Like 1

PIXELS

Just watched the whole flick at reference with the subs running a few dB hot. Stupendous low end. Tons of it. There are 2 scenes that taxed my Raptor system 3. I won't say which until there's a pinned thread, but I will say that one of them has strongest effect frequency content centered at 4 Hz but with a spread of simultaneous freqs to cross. BRUTAL!

This soundtrack is huge with content to 1 Hz, at least, and the musical score is great as well. Awesome mix. Jumping the gun and voting 5 stars, with it's hands tied behind it's back, and a strong buy, which I shall do tomorrow afternoon. I've been waiting for a soundtrack like this for a long time. I was beginning to think the filter monster had bitten every sound man in the movie biz.