Photo

The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

Bass Movies Bass Movie Measurements Deep Bass Movies Bass Waterfall Graphs Bass Graphs

• Please log in to reply
3856 replies to this topic

#2421 bao

bao

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:29 AM

I bought (used at FYE) Hellboy II and 9 to see if i would find some good bass. I like bass that makes the house rattle (first 60 sec of EoT, Flight of the Phoenix, Tron, War of the Worlds, Hurt Locker). I have watched half of each movie (Hellboy II, 9) but have not really experienced wall shaking like the other movies. Can someone point me to the chapters and timestamps where walls rattle like in other movies i listed.

thanks

bump

• Braifaraglisp likes this

#2422 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,833 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:15 AM

I would start by watching the second half of each film.  Without knowing where the freq ranges are for the resonances in your room, hard to give you timestamps.

JSS

#2423 Aj72

Aj72

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:19 AM

Bao here's a couple of moments in Nine for you. "Goes for a fair while and starts about three quarters of the way through the movie 54mins-59mins and 1hr 4mins-1hr 8mins. A couple of epic scenes in this awesome movie."

Hellboy 2

I have found running the bass a bit hotter for this movie works well even though the level suggests shouldn't need to. See scene below. I copied and pasted this

Attached File 01430.bmhttp://data-bass.ipb...h&attach_id=932p 3.75MB 34 downloads Here you go, One of the lowest sweeps in any movie. :wacko: (thanks to LFE MAN for this scenecap). Sorry can't get it to attach the  file. Anyhow its at the 14.30sec mark and its a short violent bass burst.... a bit messy but I think the links there now. Other scenes are the Forest Elemental scene (starts with a tiny bean down the drain) and the end scene where they fight the Golden Army. Many others too but can't remember. Give it a boost and you won't be disappointed.

#2424 SME

SME

Super Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:35 AM

bump

I haven't seen "Helloboy 2", but "9" has moderately strong deep bass from start to finish.  Most of the strong deep bass coincides with generous mid bass and plenty of sound in general so that the shaking of one's house might be much less noticeable than pure tones against a quiet background as in EOT.  Also, responses vary considerably from room to room depending on where one's resonances lie.  The extended duration pure tones will tend to be most unpredictable because they can potentially excite very narrow resonances that lead to very strong strong peaks or nulls.

In my setup, I don't get much wall/house shaking at all, but the deep bass is still unmistakeable because I feel *myself* shaking.  I do have a floating wall (not attached at the bottom) between the interior of my house and the garage, which has a strong bending mode at around 15 Hz.  It is strong enough that you can actually see the whole wall wagging back and forth.  While it's novel to see happen, that effect isn't really a part of the movie.  As time goes on, I'm finding that the less influence my surroundings have on what I hear and feel, the more immersed I am in the actual film.  Each to their own of course.

#2425 bao

bao

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:05 PM

Thanks Aj and SME. I finished 9 the other night and will watch second half of Hellboy II this wkend. There are some movies like i mentioned that i find amazing in terms of making my walls and doors make neat noises - very spectacular  (like barrel roll in FotP). So i thought these two movie would be the same because they were rated 5 star. For 9, when they blew up the factory with evil machine in it and the cement smoke stack collapsed, it was very good but did not seem as cool as the other movies i mentioned. Nothing in the house really rattled. 

I think I will sell 9 and Hellboy II - i have many other good movies in my library for both good story telling and for bass and these two didn't really appeal to me. They are good, just not my cup of tea i guess. I just bought them used because they were rated 5 star and I wanted to try them again with my new setup. EoT on the other hand - it is a KEEPER! Loved it!

thanks again

#2426 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,833 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:50 PM

Sounds like you really like strong sweeps and individual or tonic tones. Both HB2 and 9 really weren't designed with that in mind, but are definitively full-bandwidth.

JSS

#2427 Aj72

Aj72

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:04 AM

Bao

Sounds like World WarZ grenade scene is what your after if your looking for a sweep.

#2428 lukeamdman

lukeamdman

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationBurnsville, MN

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:43 AM

Where can I download one of your settings files so I can mimic your view?

#2429 lukeamdman

lukeamdman

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationBurnsville, MN

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:55 AM

Where can I download one of your settings files so I can mimic your view?

I found a file named "Bossobass Custom Settings.zip" from May of 2013.  If that's not it please let me know.  

#2430 bao

bao

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:36 AM

Bao

Sounds like World WarZ grenade scene is what your after if your looking for a sweep.

I just re-watched it - very good. Duration not as long as FotP and EoT - but very good - made my clothes move.

I will try the first explosion in the Hurt Locker again - i think that one should be good.

#2431 MikeDuke

MikeDuke

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:16 PM

Any chance of doing Leon: The Professional.  It's a directors cut with a black cover,  I think that might have some low ambient bass.  There were a few moments that really took me off guard.  

#2432 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:20 PM

I found a file named "Bossobass Custom Settings.zip" from May of 2013.  If that's not it please let me know.  

That's a start, for sure.  Send a PM to the respective parties if you need more help.

Any chance of doing Leon: The Professional.  It's a directors cut with a black cover,  I think that might have some low ambient bass.  There were a few moments that really took me off guard.  

I have it measured, at least the one from Netflix.  I'll post it when it's position is up in the backlog of measurements.  :)

#2433 MemX

MemX

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:45 AM

bao - check out the Bossobass system thread in the Bass Systems part of the forum - there are several images in there showing 9 has content down to low single-digit Hz at quite high levels, but as noted above, it sounds like you prefer distinct, separate sweeps, rather than full-bandwidth content.

What system are you running?

#2434 MikeDuke

MikeDuke

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:21 PM

I have it measured, at least the one from Netflix.  I'll post it when it's position is up in the backlog of measurements.  :)

Thanks.  I hope it has the bass like the one you can buy has.  I have read where sometimes they don't give you the best sound track when you get them from places like Netflix.  Although I could be wrong.  I don't know if that's how you measure now.  Plus I wanted to say that Live Die Repeat(edge of tomorrow) is pretty damn good.  That sweep in the beginning is just un-real.  Not many movies make my room shudder like that one does.  

#2435 bao

bao

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:42 PM

bao - check out the Bossobass system thread in the Bass Systems part of the forum - there are several images in there showing 9 has content down to low single-digit Hz at quite high levels, but as noted above, it sounds like you prefer distinct, separate sweeps, rather than full-bandwidth content.

What system are you running?

It is upstairs in two story wood frame house.

28' x 23' x 8'

Carpet but room is somewhat "bright"

Subs: two sealed JL Audio f113 Fathom subs, -3 dB at 18 Hz, -10 dB at 16 Hz

Front L/R: B&W 802 Diamond, 34Hz - 28kHz ±3dB on reference axis

Center: B&W HTM2 Diamond, 41Hz - 28kHz ±3dB on reference axis

Surrounds: B&W 804 Diamonds, 38Hz - 28kHz ±3dB on reference axis

Back Surrounds: Old Paradigms

Amp: Parasound Halo A51

250 watts RMS x 5, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 8 Ω, all channels driven
400 watts RMS x 5, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 4 Ω, all channels driven

Pre/Pro: Integra DHC 80.3 with Audyssey XT32

Front channels and plasma TV are along the long 28' wall.

One sub is on front wall and other sub is behind MLP on rear wall but strangely neither is at middle of wall.

I used REW while moving them around (what a pain) to try get a good response at MLP.

I then run XT32 with a "close" mic pattern around the MLP. XT32 handles two subs "sort of". It measures each one.

Audyssey set all XO to 40 except center which got 45 Hz.

LPF of LFE: 120

Subwoofer Phase: 180 degrees

It sounds awesome (e.g. EoT, FotP) but i think i will buy some HF room treatments.

Also, nothing is on spikes or special "pads" but i think i may invest in SW pads since it is upstairs.

Also, I use it a lot (maybe 50%) for music.

#2436 Reefdvr27

Reefdvr27

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:06 AM

Anything on Snowpiercer? I picked it up today on BR. Going to give it a spin after dinner. 

#2437 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:47 AM

I measured it several months ago.  Lemme post that now!  :)

#2438 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:55 AM

Snowpiercer (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (110.66dB composite)
Extension - 4 Stars (10Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.04dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4.25 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes:  This is a semi-interesting movie, with pretty good bass content.  I don't recall it being over the top (viewed the disc some months ago), but it had good effects and use of bass in several places.  The movie will appeal to some, and turn off others.  (In my best Sam Jackson voice) It's The Hunger Games on a Motherfuckin' Train.

Attached File  Snowpiercer-PvA.PNG   76.6KB   0 downloads

#2439 bmoney

bmoney

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:01 AM

Will watch tomorrow night. Blind bought it good to knowing has nice extension

watched neighbors tonight. Absolutely hysterical movie. Nice bass too

#2440 Bossobass Dave

Bossobass Dave

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:21 PM

I enjoyed Xmen DOFP.

I ran the subs +8dB over reference, thanks to the level rating, and it worked out excellently.

Capped a few scenes. As is normally the case, the big 30-60 Hz effects get the majority vote but the ULF gets the wows in my HT. So, those are the scenes I capped, except for the stadium rising, which was asked for.

27eec0047e0015019e04133d7ac181cf.png

ff860736ec1f2bba99018ca0162dc570.png

322a63a9d1915c1a0e9e52cadc1f23fa.png

ec9e2f207c939ffbf0233754e48ada4b.png

4ef63a08a543def3bafd10bbf93b3ef0.png

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users