Photo

The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

Bass Movies Bass Movie Measurements Deep Bass Movies Bass Waterfall Graphs Bass Graphs

• Please log in to reply
3923 replies to this topic

#2241 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

The Losers (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (108.29dB composite)
Extension - 3 Stars (17Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.78dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

PvA:

Attached File  TheLosers-PvA.PNG   72.89KB   0 downloads

• Braifaraglisp and AlexissMAIB like this

#2242 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:13 PM

Man On Fire (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (109.33dB composite)
Extension - 1 Star (25.5Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.13dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3 Stars

PvA:

Attached File  ManOnFire-PvA.PNG   99.07KB   0 downloads

#2243 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

Solomon Kane (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (112.1dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (4Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.94dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4.5 Stars

Notes:  Solid content all the way down, but most of the huge stuff is 25Hz and above.

PvA:

Attached File  SolomonKane-PvA.PNG   81.29KB   0 downloads

#2244 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,851 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:33 AM

Here's Underworld Awakening at the scene you spoke of  (0:46:42 - 0:46:46 Super Lycan Roar):

attachicon.gifUA-0.46.42-0.46.46-SuperLycanRoar.PNG

That one extends to 12Hz with powerful content, but as you can see, the big hit is right at 34Hz.  Sounds like your issue is the amp.

For anyone that wants to know, when an effect hits 50% on the scale at bottom right! that is 122dB at the LP at reference. 100% is 128dB.

JSS

#2245 MemX

MemX

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

Oh, cool, I hadn't thought of that! :)

Any chance somebody could graph the scene at 46min:42sec of Underworld Awakenings? It's the scene where you first here the Super Lycan roar just before she goes upstairs to battle it and they all look up and the guy say's "what the hell was that". I watched this scene today and at considerable volume. It's the first time something strange has happened. Whilst my subs sounded awesome something in the chain "tapped out" during this scene. Normally I would have the ability to measure SPL but laptop died a while back and haven't replaced yet. Volume is at 70 out of 100 if that means anything. When played at 65 it's fine. Whole house shakes and I would guess I must be hitting around 120-125dB (possibly louder?) during this scene but not sure. Subs run maybe +3dB so a touch hot but again I'm guessing here that may well be +5-7dB. Anyway this scene causes the sound from my preamplifier to drop out then return a few seconds later. I noticed my Crown XLS 5000 (which powers one sub) clip lights don't come on at all. The other sub is powered by a Behringer EP4000 and it's clip lights go on full red for this scene which lasts less than five seconds. I've noticed the clip lights flickering before on certain scenes with the Behringer but without any issue before. Whilst I lose all audio for about three seconds the bass seems to be working during this time (maybe only through the Crown?) in some capacity as the scene is finishing. What an incredible scene! Seems like it's the Behringer clipping causing the shut down of audio and I know the Crown is a better match to the Captivators but anybody got any thoughts? I feel that the scene is close to port tune too around 18-20Hz as it's similar to the Hellboy 2 scene I requested earlier on in this thread.

Edit: I will try scene with just Crown running to see if this makes a difference.

Okay found the problem, it's my solid state power amp going into protection mode. The power cuts to it and the light flashes just like when you first turn it on then the audio comes back as it clicks back on. It's rated at a genuine 200 watts per channel (seven channels) and I've run things louder than this before so something must be wrong. Cuts out at 65 too now (but not 64). Does it without any sub involvement at all so not the subs. Probably should get another Crown anyway.

I would still like the graph of that dynamic scene!

Edit: Just checked the SPL using Ratshack meter (forgot I had it!) and at 90dB with no bass involved amp goes into protection mode. Klipsch speakers I use are efficient, 8Ohm load. A 200 Watt per channel Amp should be able to cope with 90dB level I would've thought? Sorry if a bit off topic here direct me to go somewhere else if inappropriate for this thread.

If your clip lights are coming on on the Behringer, is that not showing the Input is clipping rather than the output?

Could it be that your pre-amp is shutting down briefly because you are sending it clipped signals and it doesn't like them?

What are your level trims on your AVR?

#2246 Aj72

Aj72

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

Problem all sorted guys. School boy error on my part. Rear backs are moved when not in use and cable banana tips (positive and negative) were touching causing the power amp to cut out. The amp was just doing it's job protecting me from my own stupidity. Ran the same scene without issue at loud level. Very happy again. The Behringer definitely reaching its limit although no untoward sounds noticeable. AVR trims all about 0dB.

#2247 MemX

MemX

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

Nice, easy fix is good!

#2248 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:44 PM

Glad that's sorted for ya, Aj72.  :)

I have to give you a heads up that I have Divergent, Oculus, and NFS all measured and ready to post once I get home tmw. 

Also, a quick tip for those of you with kids that the upcoming release titled Bears has a ton of bass, delicious cinematography, and is a great family watch if you can get over the narrator.

• steveo1234 likes this

#2249 Thomasdk1405

Thomasdk1405

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:10 PM

Hi !

I am legend was on TV the other day - wonder how it scores ? 

#2250 steveo1234

steveo1234

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:47 PM

Looking forward to seeing the graphs!

#2251 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:59 PM

Need for Speed (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 5 Stars (113.06dB composite)
Extension - 4 Stars (14.6Hz)
Dynamics - 4 Stars (27.09dB)

Overall     - 4.25 Stars

Notes:  From the very beginning, most of the big bass is above 40Hz.  However, the response doesn't appear to be significantly rolled off until around 20Hz; there are still good effects that dig into the 20-30Hz region. 

Need for Speed sounds very good in general, while only lacking the really deep effects and the dynamics.  It's loud, but it's supposed to be.  This sound team has many Oscars and many more nominations, and when you watch the movie, you'll understand why.  Too bad the movie is so blah.

PvA:

Attached File  NeedForSpeed-PvA.PNG   73.01KB   1 downloads

#2252 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

Divergent (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 2 Stars (107.11dB composite)
Extension - 1 Star (27Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.33dB)

Execution - 2 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 2.5 Stars

Notes:  The response drops like a rock after 30Hz.  I expected more out of this one's mix in all areas, but it really came up short.

PvA:

Attached File  Divergent-PvA.PNG   78.51KB   0 downloads

#2253 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

Oculus (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (111.45dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (32.24dB)

Overall     - 4.5 Stars

Notes:  Most of the effects are very clearly filtered at 20Hz, but then there are a couple that aren't, and there's noise below 1Hz that is not filtered out either.  The movie is surprisingly cerebral and not terrible (or terribly creepy), given the genre.  It's worth seeing if you're a horror fan, but don't expect a very scary movie.

PvA:

Attached File  Oculus-PvA.PNG   135.19KB   0 downloads

#2254 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:50 PM

Bears (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 2 Stars (105.64dB composite)
Extension - 4 Stars (13Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.16dB)

Overall     - 3.75 Stars

Recommendation - Tossup

Notes:  With its stunningly beautiful cinematography, this one has full-bandwidth content and sound design to match, but it's never overwhelming.  Bears wouldn't normally be referred to as a bass movie, but it's a very good family movie, if you can get over the annoying narrator.

PvA:

Attached File  Bears-PvA.PNG   92.92KB   0 downloads

#2255 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

Ninja Assassin (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (110.25dB composite)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.9dB)

Overall     - 4.5 Stars

Notes:  Lots of junk noise below 1Hz, but some legit content between there and 20Hz.  Big bass in this one, but not many other reasons to watch it.

PvA:

Attached File  NinjaAssassin-PvA.PNG   76.82KB   1 downloads

#2256 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:00 PM

Valkyrie (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (110.86dB composite)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (32.47dB)

Execution - 5 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4.75 Stars

Notes:  Interesting sound design - it has LOTS of scenes with effects below 20Hz.  This movie is very loud sounding because of the dynamics, and it's not a bad movie, either.

PvA:

Attached File  Valkyrie-PvA.PNG   80.86KB   16 downloads

#2257 MemX

MemX

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

Bears (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 2 Stars (105.64dB composite)
Extension - 4 Stars (13Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.16dB)
Execution - Will poll

Overall     - TBD

Recommendation - Will poll

Notes:  With its stunningly beautiful cinematography, this one has full-bandwidth content and sound design to match, but it's never overwhelming.  Bears wouldn't normally be referred to as a bass movie, but it's a very good family movie, if you can get over the annoying narrator.

PvA:

attachicon.gifBears-PvA.PNG

I can't find this on Amazon.co.uk - is it this one?
http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00GPWERCO/

#2258 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:37 PM

Yep, that looks like the one.  Unless you have kids, I'd prolly recommend renting it.  :)

#2259 MemX

MemX

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:33 PM

Cool, thanks!

I'll stick it in my basket and just wait for it to get to under $10 lol

#2260 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:53 PM

I don't have any time stamps, but any chance of doing an oldie like Dark City?  I also have to agree that 9 is 5 stars for sound all the way.

Sorry Mike, I totally missed this before, but it's been added to the queue.  Thanks for the suggestion, and keep 'em coming!  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users