The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

I just watched "Boxtrolls".  I really loved the movie and soundtrack.  Bass is pretty low level but has dynamics and is extended at least to 20 Hz.  It may go lower.  A relatively high playback level is probably warranted.  The dialog is top-notch, as are both the sound design and environmental effects.  This is another whose theatrical release was in Atmos, and clearly benefited in the sound design process.  I love the sound of Atmos ... on my 5.4 system!

• 2 weeks later...

Big Hero 6 (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 2 Stars (107.48dB composite)
Extension - 2 Stars (20.4Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.98dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Notes:  The bass was reminiscent of Fury in some ways - not loud, not low, but sounded pretty good and was fairly dynamic.  It was used to pretty good effect throughout.

PvA:

post-17-0-25787600-1425830595.png

Ratatouille (5.1 PCM)

Level        - 3 Stars (109.07dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (33.96dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4.25 Stars

Notes:  This is one of my favorite movies of all time.  The shotgun blasts in the beginning are insane, and they account for the big bump below 10Hz.  The second half of the movie has very little bass content, but the movie is such a winner that you'll never notice.

When you watch this, you'll understand why Randy Thom's mix and sound effects were both nominated for Academy awards. The mix is full, extremely dynamic, clear, clean and diverse. 

PvA:

post-17-0-00756300-1425834696.png

Alien Abduction (English 5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 2 Stars (106.35dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (3Hz)
Dynamics - 3 Stars (24.42dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

PvA:

post-17-0-79685400-1425835055.png

Ragnarok (Norwegian 5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 5 Stars (112.56dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.34dB)

Execution - 5 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 5 Stars!!!

Notes:  I'll be honest - after reading reviews of the bass in various places, I streamed this via Netflix and was not at all impressed.  It didn't even wake my girlfriend on a weeknight at my normal listening levels, and I thought the movie was mediocre.

However, after all the positive reviews continued to roll in, I grabbed the BR and measured it.  I haven't rewatched the disc, but it has fantastic scores.  While the mixers left a bunch of really high level DC noise in the mix, that's not the story.  The real story here is the TRUCKLOAD of VERY HOT content from 9-25Hz.  Almost every scene has something deep in it.

I'll wait to cast my vote until I've watched the disc, but this is tentatively vying for the coveted true 5 star rating!

PvA:

post-17-0-79848700-1425845851.png

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 (7.1 TrueHD)

Level        - 3 Stars (108.09dB composite)
Extension - 3 Stars (16Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (31.24dB)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

PvA:

post-17-0-90564400-1425848912.png

Whiplash (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 2 Stars (105.6dB composite)
Extension - 1 Star (48Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (32.83dB)

Overall     - 2.75 Stars

Notes:  What this is not - a bass movie, though it does have pretty solid kick drums in places.  What this is - a spectacular movie with solid percussion that's very well mic'd and mixed, including fantastic acting, and all set to some of the best standard jazz you'll hear anywhere.  I'm only including it here because we have a bunch of musicians who frequent the site, and ya'll should watch this movie.  It's the best movie of any genre I've seen in the last year+.

PvA:

post-17-0-12417200-1425854781.png

Has fight club ever been graphed?

Yessir.  http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/12-the-low-frequency-content-thread-films-games-music-etc/page-22#entry611

Ooh, new graphs, thanks nube!

Ragnarok looks potentially awesome - the track measured was the norwegian audio with subtitles?

I have Ratatouille in my 'to watch' pile so I shall bump it nearer the top :)

Yep, Ragnarok was measured with the Norwegian audio.

Holy S... that Raganrok looks like a monster pardon the pun...... I've been trying to rent it but nobody stocks it. Haven't tried to buy it but may just get one of the store's to order it in for me. I've got Ratatouille here in my collection and just run it for the kids through the TV occassionally as they love it. I liked it too but never watched it on the big system. Can't believe I've had such a gem sitting there so will have to rewatch again now that you've (Nube) just given it a glowing reference. Even if I only watch the first half.

• Like 1