The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

I just watched a trailer for the horror movie "The Babadook".  It sounded like it had a pretty heavy low end.  Hopefully that bass finds its way into the Blu-ray release.  The effects I heard in the trailer were brilliant.  By all appearances, this is actually a decent movie to watch, too.

Oh, they do.

But not necessarily always very loud and ground-shaking.

When ulf is preserved there is a much more involving sense of huge scale and atmosphere.

And the you have the occasional moment with louder impacts.

That's what I meant.

And... I know. ULF is great. I've got that down pretty well, actually.

That's what I meant.

And... I know. ULF is great. I've got that down pretty well, actually.

I see my post could easily be misunderstood as a "correction" on your statement, which was not what I intended, it was meant to be more as a confirmation of what you said. 

Differences in how the effects are created and processed often cause problems for Bass-EQ, because some effects can have good spectral balance and ulf level, while others on the same track could need some eq down low.

This will of course lead to compromises as they are all on the same track, mixed together, in the final soundtrack while playing, everything will get the same Bass-EQ processing.

Nube was right about the ported crowd being pleased with Fury and then some. Right in the sweet spot for me and some demo worthy material in amongst it. I really loved the clean presentation and variety. A couple of scenes shared similarities with Flight of the Phoenix barrel roll with a pressurising of the room only not as sustained. Very cool though. Filmmixer has done a great job on this one IMO. Equaliser up next.

Equalizer was good but Fury was better today IMO. Back to back and after the assault of Fury this morning I thought the Equalizer not as clean but certainly had some long, powerful moments if not the variety. I rented the Equalizer and I'm not completely sure it wasn't ripped?

Lucy (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 2 Stars (106.45dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (7Hz)
Dynamics - 3 Stars (24.7dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes:  Pretty average action flick.  Some good bass moments, but very low levels across the entire mix.  Not at all a dynamic mix, contrary to what a bunch of review sites claim.  You'll have to bump this one +5 or so over normal to get it to really fly.

PvA:

post-17-0-76647200-1422223125.png

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) (7.1 TrueHD)

Level        - 4 Stars (110.97dB composite)
Extension - 3 Stars (19Hz)
Dynamics - 4 Stars (25.72dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

Notes:  The bass was pretty poorly executed, imho.  There was some of it, and on two effects it dips below 20Hz with a slight bit of authority, but the movie is so cheesy that it was hard to watch - mostly only kids would like TMNT.

PvA:

post-17-0-09052700-1422225086.png

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (108.96dB composite)
Extension - 2 Stars (21Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.7dB)

Execution - 2 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Notes:  Solid movie.  Weak bass.

PvA:

post-17-0-68672400-1422225726.png

The Equalizer (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (111.8dB composite)
Extension - 2 Stars (23Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (31.56dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

Notes:  This might as well be Man on Fire 2.  That doesn't mean it's a bad movie, as it was entertaining until the very last scene which was, unlike the rest of the movie, poorly scripted, stiffly delivered, arbitrary and unnecessary.

As for the bass, it's really not bad.  There's not much in the first half of the movie, but the second half ramps up in a big way.  It has the content, just rolled off, and It barely missed a 19Hz rating for extension.  Overall, it's a worthwhile movie, but not an allstar for bass unless you like midbass and droning 39Hz stuff.

PvA:

post-17-0-79893200-1422240881.png

While only on DVD though Netflix (looks like you can buy the blu though Amazon), I would love to see the Alien Abduction DD 5.1 track measured. This track subjectively had quite a bit of loud ~10-15hz bass if I had to guess. Very curious to see it measured if you guys happen to get a chance. Thanks!

Thanks for the equalizer graph.

I see a spike at 11hz that looks like it is louder than anything up until 27hz, why does this get a 23hz rating?

Look at the 54Hz spike (green) and the 29Hz spike (red).  It's the -10dB point on either red or green traces, whichever results in the better rating. 

While only on DVD though Netflix (looks like you can buy the blu though Amazon), I would love to see the Alien Abduction DD 5.1 track measured. This track subjectively had quite a bit of loud ~10-15hz bass if I had to guess. Very curious to see it measured if you guys happen to get a chance. Thanks!

I have the BR, and I'll measure the 5.1 DTS-HD MA mix in the near future.

• Like 1

Look at the 54Hz spike (green) and the 29Hz spike (red).  It's the -10dB point on either red or green traces, whichever results in the better rating. 

I have the BR, and I'll measure the 5.1 DTS-HD MA mix in the near future.

Thanks, so if this didn't have that crazy spike at 54hz it would have been rated down into the teens?

Yep, if the spike at 54Hz was 5dB lower, this would have been rated at 10.5Hz.

But, I think it's kinda moot because there were maybe two effects at that frequency, and both were part of the

big shipyard petrol tanker explosion.

It's not like the rest of the movie was full of content in the bottom couple octaves.

Yep, if the spike at 54Hz was 5dB lower, this would have been rated at 10.5Hz.

But, I think it's kinda moot because there were maybe two effects at that frequency, and both were part of the

big shipyard petrol tanker explosion.

It's not like the rest of the movie was full of content in the bottom couple octaves.

Cool, thanks.

You know what is kind of funny? You used the spoiler function but when it showed in my email the while txt showed :)

Not that i care, I'll forget it by the time I watch it.

I pasted the list on the first page from the spreadsheet so it retains the original list.  Let me know if there are any errors.  Gonna bring it up to date now. Don't have a copy of the first post methodology and explanation, though.

I'll work on putting back the methodology in a day or two.

JSS

Thanks Guys, we appreciate your efforts! :)