The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

For Nicke, this is Inside:

Level - 4 Stars (111.3dB composite)

Extension - 5 Stars (2Hz)

Dynamics - 3 Stars (24.89dB)

Execution - TBD

Overall - TBD

Recommendation - TBD

VERY Well done Audio looking at the track, some clipping, but no overt square waves, most of the loudest peaks just touch 0dBFS.  As usual, the center channel is affected most, with the LFE channel having most of its problems toward the end.

JSS

Thanks Max : )

This Is the End (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (109.4dB composite)
Extension - 3 Stars (19Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.37dB)
Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Notes: I haven't looked at it with respect to clipping, but it sounded a little harsh. The movie is predictably pretty stupid, with some Shaun of the Dead moments, and the bass kinda comes out of nowhere at times to surprise you. Has some moments of intensity around 20Hz, but most of the action is around 30Hz and above. There is a sequence that has long-duration DC-4Hz noise which is weird, kinda like that one scene in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's noticeable on a sealed system but very low level, and just made me feel uneasy - much like I felt after having to watch James Franco play James Franco for 100 minutes straight. Not a whole lot here for bass fans, but a helluva lot more than most non-animated comedies.

PvA:

post-17-0-93727200-1380644033_thumb.png

• Like 1

DTSHD-MA BluRay.

JSS

Well was it 5.1 track or 2.0 track you measured from that blu-ray(i assume you have region a blu-ray), because this very old chart of mine is from dir cut dolby digital 5.1 dvd that is identical to 5.1 dts-hd ma track on theatrical blu-ray what i know(have them both).

commando1.jpg

The Croods (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (107.5dB composite)
Extension - 3 Stars (16Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.3dB)
Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes:  I expected more from Randy Thom.  This one had lots of opportunities for great ULF, but quite literally contained none.  There was no obvious clipping that I could detect upon watching.  Decent movie, and at least it had as much bass as it did, given the recent spate of HPFs @ 30Hz coupled with clipped content in the loudness wars.  I'd say pick it up if you have kids in the 8-13 age range, otherwise rent.

PvA:

post-17-0-34473100-1380735095_thumb.png

• Like 1