The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

The Grey Gets 4 Stars and Rent.

Elektra:

Level - 4 Stars (110.24dB composite)

Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.54dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4.5 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Not a very good film save for eye candy, but very well done soundtrack, but missing out on a lot of the ULF spectrum.

Elektra.thumb.jpg.b50ae01145841e4b20c7af6ba1026592.jpg

JSS

Right here, in the .50 cal scene:

http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=504

This is with a 2 second FFT, it is a powerful effect.

JSS

Um, that is not .50 cal scene, its the first bomb explosion in the movie. .50 cal scene should have a lot of 5-15hz on chart what i remember.

I don't recall being all that impressed with 2, but 3 is definitely something I wouldn't mind seeing measured.

Grenades drop from car scene was pretty epic.

Will The Haunting DTS be tested anytime soon? 

I may do it, if i get advice on it. :unsure:

Not by me, yet.  Doubtful I ever will, because I simply do not play them anymore in my player. 

JSS

Would be great if you would, we need to know if blu-rays are filtered.

You are clipped.  Those .50 cal shots should not even get to +/-50% on your waveform graph if you leave enough headroom for 128dB peaks.  You need 6 more dB of headroom.  No single frequency in that scene should be above -18dBFS in that scene with a 2sec FFT.  You are showing peaks above -10dB.

Calibrate.

JSS

The Grey Gets 4 Stars and Rent.

Elektra:

Level - 4 Stars (110.24dB composite)

Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.54dB)

Execution - TBD

Overall - TBD

Recommendation - TBD

Not a very good film save for eye candy, but very well done soundtrack, but missing out on a lot of the ULF spectrum.

JSS

Any idea which scene contains that 1 Hz content?

Just after the 1hr mark. Most of these uber-ULF moments are not encoded hot enough to be noticeable, unless you are looking at the woofer cones, and you have a flat signal chain.  How to Train your Dragon would be the closest, followed by WotW, Immortals.

Flageborg, please calibrate your setup.  

JSS

post-20-0-80880200-1379614768_thumb.jpg

As requested:  Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring - Extended DVD Edition DTS-ES 6.1:

Level - 4 Stars (112.2dB composite)

Extension - 3 Stars (16Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.3dB)

Execution - Will poll

Overall - TBD

Recommendation - TBD

This mix is 3dB hotter, and 2dB more dynamic than the BD Theatrical mix.  It appears to be a better mix overall.  

The good news is that the BD Extended Edition Mix is nearly identical to this one, with a very similar PvA.

So, the BD and DVD Extended Editions appear to be at least more Dynamic (that could be because more dialogue), and have more Level than the Theatrical BD. 

But the extension is identical to the BD Theatrical Release and BD Extended Edition, we seem to remember more extension in our audio memories.

I feel no need to do the other DVD Extended Editions since the BD Extended Edition was so close to its DVD Extended Edition counterpart for this film.  

EDIT - There is very little clipping in this mix.  What there is, only hits 0dBFS for one or two samples, then comes back down.  Very well executed.

JSS

post-20-0-76044700-1379625764_thumb.jpg

Yeah, sucks doesn't it.

Who knows what's at play. it could be "artistic license" from the idiot shot-caller sitting in the session, asking, urging, insisting that the engineers up the levels, and hit the format hard.

Louder's better, right? :unsure:

The film industry prides themselves on standards, laughingly pointing out the lack thereof throughout their brethren in the music world. 

Who knows what happened.  

(I was an early adopter of DAT. I remember making mix tape/greatest hits DAT recordings of CDs. You'd have to search out the hottest peak on the recording, and set levels accordingly. Once or maybe twice the levels would come up within a dB or so of full scale, .. and that was it. These days, finding the recorded peak would be much easier.)    

We enjoyed two movies this weekend. Now You See Me, and Place Beyond the Pines. It's a good thing we watched NYSM first, because the latter was so heavy, so cerebral, just damn good IMO. That said, for me, it is so compellingly exhausting. Had never seen it/heard of it, took a chance and it paid. Not a special effects spectacular, by any measure. Now You See Me had some nice LFE.  

Thanks                

The Place Beyond The Pines was pretty good; did not expect it to head the way it did....a good break from the typical Hollywood cookie cutter.

JSS 

As requested:  Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring - Extended DVD Edition DTS-ES 6.1:

Level - 4 Stars (112.2dB composite)

Extension - 3 Stars (16Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.3dB)

Execution - Will poll

Overall - TBD

Recommendation - TBD

This mix is 3dB hotter, and 2dB more dynamic than the BD Theatrical mix.  It appears to be a better mix overall.  

The good news is that the BD Extended Edition Mix is nearly identical to this one, with a very similar PvA.

So, the BD and DVD Extended Editions appear to be at least more Dynamic (that could be because more dialogue), and have more Level than the Theatrical BD. 

But the extension is identical to the BD Theatrical Release and BD Extended Edition, we seem to remember more extension in our audio memories.

I feel no need to do the other DVD Extended Editions since the BD Extended Edition was so close to its DVD Extended Edition counterpart for this film.  

EDIT - There is very little clipping in this mix.  What there is, only hits 0dBFS for one or two samples, then comes back down.  Very well executed.

JSS

Yeah, something not right here. Here are just 2 caps of LOTR:FOTR EE

155f0703e1bc391ab49d59bff5572527.png

1efbeb4e1c778f285f93c888bad4cff8.png

Def getting way below 16 Hz on playback.

I read it straight off the discs. No AVR, no soundcard. It has content below 10Hz, but at nearly 20dB below the highest single freq peak. The content is there, at a lower level. Gimme timestamps for those caps and I'll graph them.

JSS

The first one is when the Balrog is on the bridge and the 2nd is when Frodo puts on the ring near the end. Sorry, I don't have timestamps handy.

From my just completed viewing at -25, I would definitely agree with Dave.  Just a few more timestamps, if you'd like to test them out too. From the EE trilogy set

Part 1: 

20:30-21:00 First firework goes off

22:50-23:40 Dragon firework

27:40-28:00 Gandalf gets scary

54:25-55:00 (Not sure what this was)

Part 2:

9:30-11:00 Rocks and snow fall

17:00-18:30 Kraken thing

38:45-39:30 Stairs collapsing
39:30-41:30 Balrog

Thanks! Looking forward to TTT at some points soon.