The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Sorry, yes, indeed either trace would be no bueno for a ported system without proper protection. But, even the lowly Behringers are -3dB @ 5 Hz.

Yep, that blip at 27 Hz I asked about is indeed the highest peak in the movie. I have reason to suspect it's in the CC and is clipped (as are other parts of the ST). As I said, I'll be interested to see what you find.

Behringers are only 3dB down at 5Hz?  That's pretty good for an econo amp.  What about at 3Hz?

The 27Hz blip is in the LFE + a few other channels.  That's the only way to get above -10dBFS on the PvA graph, as it is a sum of all the channels with the proper +10dB for LFE, with 0dBFS being all channels clipping, including LFE.

Oz clips at under 0dBFS, around -1dBFS, much like what is found with clipping in other releases.

JSS

Tron:Legacy's clipping is unfortunately easily noticeable because of what was clipped most of the time: the score. It was simply pushed too far. Iron Man, Iron Man 2 clip when the repulsors are used. This may be on purpose, to make them sound like a jet engine (REAL jets clip our ears). Thor is not as heavy handed as any of the rest.

Oz clips in a few places, but is not as big an offender as any of the films mentioned above. I have yet to delve into Immortals in detail, but from what FM said on AVS, the limiters were the culprit on Immortals. Tron is also clipped at -2dBFS, meaning that it was likely a brick wall limiter may have been used due to the sharp corner on the clipped tops. I am expecting to see more rounded corners on Immortals if they used more soft limiting. Oz clips at -1dBFS.

If clipping is used as an artistic effect, great. But it is my own theory that no mixing stage or theater has low enough distortion playback at the limits, or else this clipping would easily be heard. Power compression and high power non-linearities in playback equipment (esp. the speakers) probably mask the hard clipping on these tracks as the clipping in a transducer is usually softer than the digital clipping on the track.

I would love to see distortion sweeps of ANY mixing stage/room/theater at -3dBFS (or higher) levels. I run my theater at -7dBRef because that's where THD creeps above 5%. At -10dBRef, I am under 3% THD full band. Playing louder simply sounds like....a commercial theater. Plenty loud, plenty harsh. There is a reason distortion sweeps on loudspeaker drivers are done at 1W/1m. Throw 100W in there, and those graphs do not look as pretty.

JSS

Yeah, I would love for all the people who say they can easily play at reference show their THD sweeps as well.  It is much harder than one thinks to keep it clean at reference.  My system can play very loud and I creep into 3% THD at 2.2khz at 105 dBs.(with sine waves of course), at reference I am below 1% everywhere else.

Congrats on the Wiffle Ball tourney win!

It was unexpected, we had placed 3rd both years prior.  My last at-bat was a home run, I batted around .400, and my ERA was 0.00 for the tourney (I pitched 4 innings, and got myself out of one bases-loaded JAM).  Not bad for a 41-year old former swimmer's (backstroker) shoulder.  It was a pretty damn good time.  

JSS

It was unexpected, we had placed 3rd both years prior.  My last at-bat was a home run, I batted around .400, and my ERA was 0.00 for the tourney (I pitched 4 innings, and got myself out of one bases-loaded JAM).  Not bad for a 41-year old former swimmer's (backstroker) shoulder.  It was a pretty damn good time.  

JSS

Sincere congrats, sounds really fun!

Seriously, I've no idea where you find the time, knowing full well all you have before you. 

Thanks for everything, it's not said enough.

Would somebody please post a chart/graph of the second shuttle launch (chapter two) from the IMAX: Hubble 3D Blu-ray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zEc6CGb2YY

Here's the SL cap of that vid (although I wouldn't put money on the accuracy of the transfer).

f0e8d2cdd435cd29abedfc398695a056.png

There's not much there. My son capped this. His SC is -3dB @ right around 4 Hz.

maxmercy has mentioned that it may soon be possible to create waterfall charts directly from the file. 

Now one can analyze the exact content on the disc in just seconds with no soundcard involved! maxmercy has been very involved in this process and has confirmed that the procedure creates a mono wave file of all channels mixed together with the proper levels. The mono wave file can then be analyzed in Spectrum Lab.

JRiver Media Center recently added a feature called "Convert Video to Audio" that was primarily intended for converting a Blu-ray concert into individual FLAC files (or other format) for playback without video or for syncing with a handheld device. This feature also enables one to instantly convert the audio from a portion of a movie into a mono wav file that can be read by Spectrum Lab.

I have created a Tutorial at AVSforum in The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts thread

One at a time:

1. The Yellow is the last bit of data that was run through the FFT prior to filestop.  The FFT has a one second gather time, and a small conputation time, so when it gets to filestop, we lose a tiny bit of data.  Since this is usually in the credits, it is OK.

2. Mojave (desertdome at AVS, I presume?), thanks for posting here.  Has the ability to get apples apples data we were PM'ing about materialized?  If so, JRMC would be a great, and easy to use tool to generate small files for analysis with SpecLab for waterfalls, or WaveShop for overall peak  and RMS data.  I currently use Audacity, but once JRMC is fully functional with the apples/apples adjustments, I will be using it as well.

3. Bosso, how do you make the animated gifs?

JSS 

2. Mojave (desertdome at AVS, I presume?), thanks for posting here.  Has the ability to get apples apples data we were PM'ing about materialized?  If so, JRMC would be a great, and easy to use tool to generate small files for analysis with SpecLab for waterfalls, or WaveShop for overall peak  and RMS data.  I currently use Audacity, but once JRMC is fully functional with the apples/apples adjustments, I will be using it as well.

Yes, I am desertdome at AVS and mojave on other forums. 

I PM'd you the answer, but I'll post it here, too. When downmixing 5.1 or 7.1 you have to use different levels (as noted in the tutorial). This is because JRiver uses different levels when downmixing the two formats. When downmixing, for 5.1 to 1.0 the level reduction is -1.76 for LFE and -11.76 for all other channels. For 7.1 to 1.0 the level reduction is -2.30 for LFE and -12.30 for all other channels.

In order for their to be equal reduction of -10.2 dB for LFE and -20.2 dB for all other channels, the following additional attenuation needs to be added using the Parametric Equalizer:

5.1:  -8.44 dB

7.1:  -7.90 dB

Both the downmix algorithm and the appropriate PEQ attenuation combine to produce -10.2 dB for LFE and -20.2 for all other channels for both 5.1 and 7.1. This gives one the apples to apples comparison. It makes sure that under a worse case scenario, 7.1 coherent channels at maximum levels, that there will never be clipping caused by downmixing.

The Dark Knight Rises:

The sound is done poorly in this film, bass included.

For those of you who have criticized TDKR audio, have you ever stopped to consider that Christopher Nolan,

wanted his movie to sound exactly the way it does?

The guy is a hands on director, who is involved in every phase of the production, especially the audio.

Nolan spent every hour of every day overseeing each aspect of TDKR sound, going scene by scene, and frame by frame.

“When you’re dealing with sound mixing, and post-production, we try to address these subtleties for the audience” Nolan said.

“It’s all really about building to this moment where you put it out there for everybody.

And until that happens, it’s not done.”

dark-knight-rises-christopher-nolan-soun

http://soundworkscollection.com/videos/darkknightrises

Not only does TDKR sound mix suck, it really sucked imo. 

I also tend to see micromanagement as a bad thing, and perhaps it's the cause of the shitty mix.  TDKR cost $250,000,000 to produce.  in a $250,000,000 company, there's a reason why CEO's don't oversee the day-to-day operations of mail room clerks or the slaughterhouse butchers - the CEO has no expertise.  There's a reason why the President doesn't oversee individual offices (local, state, or federal) in a bureaucratic administration or department - the Prez don't know shit about what they be doin.  ;)  Hell, would you want them to?  Absolutely not.

Nolan isn't even that great of a director; what makes anyone think he's even an adequate sound mixer?

See my previous post re: Emperor's New Clothes theory. Nolan was relatively unknown before Batman Begins, and would likely take advice or collaborative input. Now, he's an A-List director. Think anyone on the sound team would tell him he had a 'bad' idea, or that a change he suggested would be 'wrong'? Not if they wanted to keep their jobs.......Or for that matter, think anyone told George Lucas that Episode III sucked while he was making it?

Another director screwing up a sound mix:

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/04/05/tron-legacy-director-joe-kosinski-on-blu-ray-tweaks-and-why-tron-3-will-be-like-the-dark-knight/

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=76008

TDKR is a compressed, clipped mess. Tron:Legacy was too, but in the backdrop of a modulated, digital world, it was more tolerable. If it was intended that way, great. In my opinion, TDKR was poorly executed, be it by Nolan's hand or any other. There is only one Star category that is subject to opinion here (as opposed to all categories on AVS), making it a more objective rating system.

JSS

Art of Flight PvA later tonight.....

With regards to yes men and bosses who hate to hear no, I absolutely agree, John.

Nolan still hasn't even been nominated for an Oscar as a director.  He's directed some good movies (I really liked TDK and Inception), but he hasn't received top critical acclaim yet.