The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

2 hrs per, with a POS laptop doing the processing.  But once the processing is done, any part of a film can be analyzed without rolloff.  It looks like there will be no shortcut.  I'll PM you, MK, prob tomorrow, going to sleep now.

Here's the PvA for Oz:

post-20-0-72582300-1371786939_thumb.jpg

Now, the scale is relative to a worst case scenario.  0 dBFS on this scale is every channel delivering 0dBFS.  That means that at ~26Hz, this film asks for around -3dBFS, or a staggering 125dB (if RMS is calibrated for a sinewave, not a square wave).  This is why it is all the rage over at AVS.  The loudness war is alive and well in Hollywood.  It should peak at around 127-128dB, but I need to measure that, maybe tomorrow.

JSS

Was able to get another one measured yesterday:

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

Level - 4 Stars (112.4dB)

Extension - 3 Stars (16Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.3dB)

Execution - 4 Stars - I'm not sure if the BluRay got robbed on this release, the charts I can find of the DVD appear to correlate well to this PvA. 

Overall - 4 Stars

Recommendation - Rent, unless you are a very big fan of the Terminator saga.

MaxRMS 116.1 dB
LeqZ 96.4 dB
MaxPeak 124.7 dB
Dynamics 28.3 dB
Level 112.4 dB

JSS

You need to checkout the UK edition of Terminator 3  on Blu-ray.

I imported a copy and the Dolby TrueHD 5.1 (48kHz, 16-bit) audio is superb.

Great ULF!

f8f8d1716310a868c7b5.jpg

Not really related to this thread, but had to share. Last night I finally got around to watching Goldeneye. A favourite of mine ever since I went to see it in theaters as a young teenager. Really not that long ago, yet watching it was just hilarious how bad the sound was. Especially the LFE. In my mind I remember it as huge explosions, tanks, gun fire, etc. Not quite how I remember it. The new movies have come so far. The sound tracks on this thread's list are so good, even the 3/5 ones. I still love the movie, but it'll always be better how I remembered it back in the day.

I also was very disappointed with the Goldeneye Blu-ray that I purchased.

The picture quality was horrible.

Audio quality was lousy and not like what I experienced, when I saw it in the theater.

The studio royally screwed up the release of Goldeneye on Blu-ray.

Bosso are these your graphs?

Hah! They sure look similar, eh? Yeah, I just ran them.  :lol:

I "slowed" your scroll speed by squeezing your graph and did the same with the waveform graph below so that our graphs of the witch fight can be compared. I was running about +3dB hot (just a guess, as I just got the system back together and calibrated roughly to graph this one), my scroll speed was slower (120 vs 80) and my response has a dip from 60-72 Hz, which you can easily see.

c2a36a893b594c2a11a95202c14020fa.jpg

Pretty awesome. I reckon the purple is right around 0dBFS if I was calibrated properly and not running the subs hot. I think the action is in the CC and it may be clipped. Will be interesting to see if Max can track it down.

Also, notice I'm showing deeper response than your direct setup. New amps on the way and the signal chain from player to drivers will be -3dB @ 3 Hz.  :o  :o  :o  :o

Hey guys,

I'm Marti D. Humphrey CAS , aka dr.sound (not Humphries) and Chris Jacobson (not Jackson).

Chris and I are Re-Recording Mixers at my facility "The Dub Stage" 

http://www.thedubstage.com/gallery-facility/

and we mixed "Oz, The Great and Powerful"

Thanks for the kind words about the mix on "Oz"!

Bossobass Dave, Could I ask you to fix our names on your post please?

As for the Sound Design it was BOTH Jussi Tegelman and Steve Tuschar.

Jussi was the Sound Supervisor on the Film.

So guys, how LOW did we go.. ? :D

Dr. Sound it looks to me it went to 3 hz! Always welcome the deep stuff!

Bosso, yeah my goal was to copy your graphs and man I am very close. My sound card rolls off too much and I can not compensate for it yet but Max is working on it. I lose all the red under 5hz! Damn it, I am so close!

• Like 1

Bosso, yeah my goal was to copy your graphs and man I am very close. My sound card rolls off too much and I can not compensate for it yet but Max is working on it. I lose all the red under 5hz! Damn it, I am so close!

So MK, Do we get 5 stars now ? ;)

You will repost on AVS won't you? 

Hey guys,

I'm Marti D. Humphrey CAS , aka dr.sound (not Humphries) and Chris Jacobson (not Jackson).

DONE! Sorry, my friend... going way too fast today. I'll update the ratings stars when max has the data, but I'm putting a BUY! recommendation in there whether he likes it or not. 

This soundtrack has it all; surround steering is the best I've heard, the low end has awesome impact with the ULF undertow intact. I LOVED it.

The response of my system begins to roll off at 4 Hz, so I suspect you went ALL-THE-WAY down.       

Thanks a million for chiming in and I hope you get a piece of the disc sales 'cause they're gonna see the DataBass bounce in the following months, mark my words.

Were you involved with After Earth?

Yeah, you're there except for the intensity tweak and full extension. 

Here's the fireworks scene compared as well:

d85ca79c010780b9dfe4375e25cd5264.jpg

Yeah, working in that sound card and if I can not ever compensate for it I will buy a new one.

Yeah man, you've come a long way and it's great to have another grapher on board.

So MK, Do we get 5 stars now ? ;)

You will repost on AVS won't you? 

I reserve 5 stars based on level because I know it has extension and application at 5 stars.

Marti,

5 stars are hard to earn. It'll be based on max's data, by the numbers, but if I had a subjective vote available it would indeed be 5 stars. I'm an instant fan of The Dub Stage and will add it to my grapevine ASAP.

I have not even watched the movie at rest ence yet, about 10 dBs low and I knew which scenes to graph. I was basing the not 5 stars rating on the lower levels at the 3-20hz level compared to the 5 stars, that is all. FOTP is lower under 20 hz but hit 5 stars overall so you never know. I know I felt that 30-20 hz sweep during the ceiling crash even at 10 dBs low.

Dr.sound if you expanded the bass energy one octave to the left on the OZ chart so we could get some strong output into single digits Hz then it would defenitly be a 5'er,anyway love that you didnt filtered it out (like hobbit) also hope that you will hangaround in this thread for bass discussions on movies,nice to discuss between creator-consumers : ) also two thumbs up for the sound on Drag me to hell,

especially the ghost that travels all around the room 360"

• Like 1

Hey guys,

Awesome job on the track! And it's always great to hear from folks in the industry.

So now that we have someone who actually worked on one of the graphed and measured ULF tracks, how about info straight from the source:

When you guys create soundtracks like this with visceral ULF, do you know exactly what you put into it from experience? Or do you test it on a ULF capable system?

Or do you simply know that you've put Ultra Low Frequency effects in the track but you're not sure exactly how much and how it will sound when played at Reference levels on a system with huge ULF capability because the mixing soundstage doesn't have the capability to reproduce it?

Still trying to figure out why there are some mixes that completely neuter the audio (like The Hobbit), when other facilities like yours can do such an excellent job? Are the neutered tracks simply due to certain facilities not having a clue (or not caring) about how significant an effect the bass and ULF effects can have on the impact (literally and figuratively) on a specific scene and the movie in general? Or is it a conscious decision to filter the lower octaves in order to increase the headroom so they can make the higher octaves even louder?

Max