The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Titan AE (DVD-DTS 5.1)

Level - 4 Stars (111.83dB composite)

Extension - 3 Stars (16Hz)

Dynamics - 3 Stars (24.6dB)

Execution - 4 Stars by poll.

Overall - 3.5 Stars

Recommendation - Rent.  While many are fans, this film is visually lacking, and looks quite dated.

JSS

post-20-0-49597600-1404352282_thumb.jpg

Man 17 Hz for titan ae. Still this move is great. Really need to watch it with my new subs. Last I watched it I thought my poor little mtx 12 was going to give up. Good stuff, thanks for reminding me how great this flick was.

I thought I remembered seeing charts that showed it having solid content down to the single digits?  Well, maybe not super hot content, but definite content!  Here are some from AVS:

OklahomaWolf's graph

TitanAE.jpg

More of OklahomaWolf's graphs and a link to his entire post about the movie (lots more graphs):

titan7.jpg

I feel like the bass on this is a certain 5 star, from its release date until the end of eternity.

Too bad the movie is TERRIBLE and cheesy beyond belief.  It reminds me of old 70s/80s animation (like the animated Lord of the Rings), and the script/plot are atrocious.

Recommendation - Rent.  The visuals on this film are so tremendous, that the soundtrack is an even bigger disappointment. The plot is trash, the acting and script are a reach at best, but they really made some menacing looking enemy warships and weapons, that could have used the ULF that was gutted out of this release.  I would like to hear what someone thinks of this soundtrack should they add a shelf filter to counteract what is clearly seen here to their DSP.....I may have to invest in a MiniDSP after all....or plug my DCX into my signal chain to see....

It is clearly a shelf filter, as some effects dig down to nearly DC (when watching the waterfall real-time), but slope down horribly before they level out below  20Hz...

Although I don't have the capability to hear the filtered out ULF content in Battleship (my subs go down to 25 hz only), I can confirm that the Turkish Dolby Digital track has solid LFE content, but the original DTS HD Master audio track is clearly anemic to my ears. The former track can easily rattle things (-10db), but nothing happens when I play the latter at the same volume (no low-end to speak of).

Titan AE is at a deadlock on the poll, we need more ppl to vote!

Today, Pearl Harbor:

Level - 3 Stars (109.03dB composite)

Extension - 5 Stars (9Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.75dB)

Execution - 4 Stars - This is a typical Michael Bay film, great sound, but lacking ULF.  Update 7-2-14: Not much below 30Hz in this one, with essentially nothing below 20Hz except for one scene with four small effects @ 9Hz, and one effect @ 15Hz.

Overall - 4.25 Stars

Recommendation: RENT.  Not a whole lot of re-watchability for this one, IMO.

JSS

post-17-0-20692000-1404314212_thumb.png

I re-measured Titan AE in DTS.  The graph is nearly identical.  Looking at OKWolf's graphs, they show that content is there down to 3Hz, but 20dB down from the 30Hz peak.  Look carefully at the color scale and you'll see that there is a gradual rolloff.

Sometime this week:

Running Scared

Live Free or Die Hard

Taken 2

JSS

Although I don't have the capability to hear the filtered out ULF content in Battleship (my subs go down to 25 hz only), I can confirm that the Turkish Dolby Digital track has solid LFE content, but the original DTS HD Master audio track is clearly anemic to my ears. The former track can easily rattle things (-10db), but nothing happens when I play the latter at the same volume (no low-end to speak of).

This is both encouraging and maddening.  Why neuter a release like this?  For people using TV speakers?  But stereo mixdown would not include LFE unless requested......oh well.

JSS

I re-measured Titan AE in DTS.  The graph is nearly identical.  Looking at OKWolf's graphs, they show that content is there down to 3Hz, but 20dB down from the 30Hz peak.  Look carefully at the color scale and you'll see that there is a gradual rolloff.

You're absolutely right.  That lower level thing is what I was sorta getting at in my post, but I went and reviewed the rules for the extension category and I now understand why it gets the rating it gets. 

This just shows that SpecLab caps are even more important!  Coupling the score and extension rating with screen captures will help people in times like this.  I really wish I could produce them.  Perhaps someday... :)

Thanks, as always!

It looks like I have enough data to make the new 'Level' Star Rating with.  I will Average these three Z-Weighted values, all measuring all bass from 2-250Hz:

RMS Bass Peak

Overall Bass Peak

LeqZ - this is like an Average level.  It is the Equivalent SPL you would be subject to for the entire duration of the film, but it is Z-weighted (no weighting).

Star Ratings as follows:

1-Star - Less than 105dB (didn't use LFE channel)

2-Star - 105-107.5dB

3-Star - 107.5-110dB

4-Star - 110-112.5dB

5-Star - Greater than 112.5dB

Films that got shafted in the Level department with the old rating system will now be on a more level playing field, as what is being measured is the overall bass power in dB, weighing peak levels more than average levels so that films with long quiet stretches but tremendously loud bass parts will not get ignored.

For example, the movie Drive got only 2-Stars in Level with the old system.  With the new system, it is a 4-Star film.

Which film has the highest Level?  Easy.  Immortals at 116.5dB.  It is a beast.   #2 is TDKR at 115.5.  Too bad both of them don't sound as good as they could have had someone on the console been looking at the waveforms and preventing limiters engaging and/or clipping to occur.....or they saw the waveforms and thought it sounded better.  Who knows.

No other film measured with z-weighting thus far (38 films) breaks 115dB.  I have many films to catch up on, and I hope that films like Abraham Lincoln:Vampire Hunter and others get the ratings they deserve.

This summer the 1st post will be updated with all the new ratings.  In the meantime,  I will continue to provide PvA graphs with the old rating system until I catch up.  

JSS 

About to watch it right now. Will give my impressions after.

Max

There were a couple of explosions, but nothing really stood out to me about the LFE. Definitely didn't have any real WOW! moments like WOTW or TIH. The movie overall was entertaining enough and the 3D was pretty good. Mostly depth with a few pop out moments.

As far as 3D goes, thus far, the most impressive 3D presentation I've seen is in Madagascar 3. The director really understands the concept of blurring the screen plane in that movie. Stuff goes in and out of the screen plane so often, and not just the cheesy in-your-face way that I found it to greatly increase the immersive aspect.

Max

• Like 1