The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

I will measure movies, I have a bluray drive on my office computer and downloading jriver is easy.  How do I measure the PvA? 

You're going to have to get JRiver and follow desertdome's guide on how to convert the audio portion of a movie to a wav file so you can then analyze it through Speclab.

I cannot find that guide anymore...sorry...so maybe you'll have to reach out to desertdome and ask him where it is.

Before doing that with Jriver, you need to extract the audio portion of the movie by either using MakeMKV or TSmuxer.

The hard part is setting up the Jriver portion but once that is done it's extremely easy from there on.

Good luck

desertdome's tutorial is this one I believe.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1333462-new-master-list-bass-movies-frequency-charts-295.html#post23468771

I would love someone to share the speclab settings used.  I've tried a bunch of different settings, but can't seem to generate results that match others.

I have the time and inclination to run many tests.

I can't find Mojave's tutorial.  I have my mad max bluray in my computer with jriver and speclab waiting.  What do I do?

:)

I use TSMuxer and only tick the audio track that I want to analyze. I don't see how you can do that with JRiver.

post 8835 in http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1333462-new-master-list-bass-movies-frequency-charts-295.html#post23468771

it is page 221 of 566 for me but avs forum software is rubbish so working out a direct link is always tricky, the above is using the default no of posts per page

You're going to have to get JRiver and follow desertdome's guide on how to convert the audio portion of a movie to a wav file so you can then analyze it through Speclab.

I cannot find that guide anymore...sorry...so maybe you'll have to reach out to desertdome and ask him where it is.

Before doing that with Jriver, you need to extract the audio portion of the movie by either using MakeMKV or TSmuxer.

The hard part is setting up the Jriver portion but once that is done it's extremely easy from there on.

Good luck

I did the hard part, now what from spec lab?

• Like 1

Mad Max: Fury Road (7.1 TrueHD)

Level        - 5 Stars (113.91dB composite)

Extension - 4 Stars (11Hz)

Dynamics - 3 Stars (24.28dB)

Execution - 5 Stars

Overall     - 4.25 Stars

Recommendation - Buy

Notes: Delivering everything pretty over the top, it's only fitting that Mad Max: Fury Road has lots of bass.  It does not have much below 20Hz, aside from 2 scenes, and those only have a little bit of content down low.  As you can see from the PvA, it drops like a rock below 28Hz.  It's also not very dynamic, because of the sheer quantity of bass.  I didn't think the mix was exceptional, but it does have a lot of bass.

That said, you wouldn't recognize most of the sound team from a list of the heavy hitters, but many of them have been quite recognized by the Academy, so you know it's going to at least be good.  The mix is clean, even though it's loud.  I could only find very limited instances of flat tops in the waveforms, and no outright clipping.  I never heard anything bad when watching, but the dialog could have been a lot cleaner, what with all the heavy British Aussie English (thanks AJ72) being butchered by mush-mouths on the screen.  Clearly some of that was intentional, but that was my only real complaint with the movie or mix.

Otherwise, it's probably the most action I've ever seen packed into what I would call a pretty good movie.  It's not a great movie, but it really is good, and it is most definitely a good HT ride, even without a ton of the deep bass we crave.

PvA:

post-17-0-31045100-1441389184.png