The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Welcome to DB, Ashley. Haven't seen you around in a long while. Thanks for posting all these measurements.

I find it interesting how much ~1hz content is in all these graphs of yours. You have a cacophony of gear (that I would say is unnecessary) but I wonder if that stuff is really in these recordings. All that DC stuff tracks the transient so it looks like a natural thing but I wonder if it's some kind of overloading or otherwise unintended artifact.

I hope you're reading this, Dave. ;)

Not saying that if it's there, it's crap, unintended ULF. I'm wondering why all of Ashley's graphs show stuff there and that it is some unintended measurement artifact. Kinda surprising to me.

Ashley, do you have some more modern movies not on laserdisc to graph? Even better would be some graphs from movies that are already on here and if you're going to come up with more DC level bass that isn't in anyone else's graphs.

Just curious.

Looks like he could be clipping the signal. If you do that's exactly what the low end response will look like. It happened to me posting some caps the first time I didn't realize were clipped.

That was my other thought of what was happening but I don't think that is what is happening here. He is using a lot of external processing from closed out cinemas with his gear so who knows exactly what is going on with the signal.

He just forgot to tilt the graphs.

He should port them.

Haha!

But seriously...

JBL is back! You finally upgraded that tiny TV! That SDDS processor is cool. How does it work, does any discs contain that or is it Sony's fancy way of saying 7.1? Anyways, it seems you have upgraded everything including the seats! Love the overkill. I remember you being one of the first to separate the Spec lab graphs into individual channels, or seeing where the bass is actually coming from. This is why I love bass management so much, to me it does not matter as all goes to the subs!

Perhaps this is the issue, Scott & Andy.  I might be wrong but, If you look at the below screenshot, the cursor is overtop the 65-67Hz tone in an area that, according to the color palette, should be somewhere between -30 and -45dBFS, but the cursor reports -73dBFS.  If that's correct, which I think it is, something in Andy's settings is adding a LOT to the actual signal dBFS.  That would account for a lot of what has been shown.

11838841_855182967884434_671700654963101

^ Centre front

Hey all, longtime lurker with a question. I remember reading a year (or more ago) somewhere, maybe here, about Wal Mart having neutered soundtracks in some of the movies they sell. I tried using the search feature here and elsewhere and could not find anything. I have been able to find that Lionsgate? Redbox rentals are not lossless audio, but that is about it.

Here is the deal. Over time I have accumulated at least 50-60 blu rays that score four stars or higher on this site, and many more that are just under.  I don't have the equipment you guys use to measure, just going off my own ears/body, but for the most part, I can tell why something got 5 stars and why something maybe got a little less. I also don't have the subs most of you probably have, but I do have dual SVS PB12-NSD's.

There are two movies I have, both purchased from Wal Mart's bargain bin, where the bass is not there. They feel like a 3 star to 3.5 star movie at best. They are 5 star Star Trek and 4.5 star Battle of LA. I know both of these are highly regarded both by ear and by measurement equipment. The bass content is there, but its just not loud, it does not rumble my couch much, it does not give me that "feeling." I run my sub trim about 5-6 db's hot when nobody is home and I really want to blow my mind on any great bass movie. Still nothing from them.  I guess the only thing I haven't done is run it even hotter for these to see if that really changes how these two feel and sound. It has to be something else right? Figured I would ask here first, my next step is to buy these movies at another store.

As someone with an SVS PB-1000 (for now...) I can kind of relate to that, at least with the 2009 Star Trek (along with some other highly rated movies). I was a bit disappointed with it and expected more but I could tell that it was mostly because I was missing out on quite a bit of low bass.

Watching Battle L.A. on the other hand was some of the most fun I ever had with my HT, the soundtrack is almost perfect and a lot of fun even when missing out the low stuff (thats how you know a soundtrack is well done). It made a movie I considered to be one of the worst I've ever seen at the cinema extremely enjoyable. I guess watching a german dub the first time didn't really help matters since it made most of the lines even more ridiculous.

Welcome to Data Bass Forums!

Both of those titles have a LOT of content below the bandwidth that your ported SVS's can produce. That's what you're missing.

Thanks for the welcome.

And initially that is what I thought, but looking at the graphs w particular time stamps, there looks to still be a significant amount in the 20hz-80hz range for Star Trek. That first graph, I can tell you I feel and hear almost nothing at all.

rgdeuce, you might have a room mode at or around 30Hz which prevents you from hearing the great bass in that first graphed scene.  Or it might be something else, but I highly doubt it's your discs.  I'm sure a fair number of the community buy their discs at Walmart, and I don't recall anyone claiming they're selling neutered and, more importantly, different mixes from all other BR retailers.

I'd say, since it's so few discs you've experienced issues with, it's something unique to your system.  I'd also say it's probably not worth worrying too much about, BUT, since you did post about it, measure your room response and see if that's it.  All you need is a USB mic, a laptop, and REW.  :)

Insurgent (7.1 TrueHD)

Level        - 4 Stars (110.41dB composite)

Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.08dB)

Execution - 4 Stars

Overall     - 4.5 Stars

Recommendation - Buy

Notes: I haven't watched it yet.  But, from watching the measurements, all effects are steeply rolled off from 20Hz for the first 3/4 of the movie.  Then, out of NOWHERE in the last quarter of the flick, all the effects magically become full bandwidth.  It's like they used a different foley for the last bit, or changed sound effects editors or something.

PvA:

post-17-0-74429000-1438744395.png

Thanks for the welcome.

And initially that is what I thought, but looking at the graphs w particular time stamps, there looks to still be a significant amount in the 20hz-80hz range for Star Trek. That first graph, I can tell you I feel and hear almost nothing at all.

I've got Captivators with 17Hz port tune. I find Star Trek not to be at all lacking even though I don't experience full bandwidth effects. However when I watched this for the first time something was amiss. Can't recall exactly but I think it was just after I moved house and hadn't EQ'd properly. I didn't get what the fuss was about but redid the EQ and it was night and day. A great bass movie.

Oh.... And welcome to Data Bass.

...  But, from watching the measurements, all effects are steeply rolled off from 20Hz for the first 3/4 of the movie.  Then, out of NOWHERE in the last quarter of the flick, all the effects magically become full bandwidth.  It's like they used a different foley for the last bit, or changed sound effects editors or something.

PvA:

I have noticed this on several movies, example the TrueHD/Atmos track on Gravity, first 30min is filtered, the rest has more bandwidth.

I've got Captivators with 17Hz port tune. I find Star Trek not to be at all lacking even though I don't experience full bandwidth effects. However when I watched this for the first time something was amiss. Can't recall exactly but I think it was just after I moved house and hadn't EQ'd properly. I didn't get what the fuss was about but redid the EQ and it was night and day. A great bass movie.

Oh.... And welcome to Data Bass.

Just a note that Star Trek has a -4 dialnorm as well.

Just a note that Star Trek has a -4 dialnorm as well.

Interesting.  That also means that the measured level will depend on how the data was obtained.  If the data is taken straight from the disc, then there's a good chance the dial norm won't be applied, but if the data is sampled from an output on a player (whether analog or digital) then the dialnorm is likely active.  This issue probably doesn't impact very many movies since most use DTS-HD MA rather than Dolby TrueHD audio.