The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

I have only watched part of insterstellar on bluray and I can hear dialog much better than the IMAX I saw it in. I am not sure what type of IMAX it was but the screen is taller than wide.

Interesting.  For what it's worth, I did see a few complaints about not being able to hear the dialog posted to the official thread here.  Putting aside the criticism about its clipping, this definitely seems to be a hit or miss mix with people.  Maybe that is poor mixing in and of itself, since the mixer is supposed to make it sound good on a wide variety of systems.  At the same time, I am intrigued that system/room performance makes such a difference with this one.  I have noticed that about other recordings I have that I've had the chance to listen to as my system develops.  Some things I own sound good no matter how my system is set up, but there are other things that sounded relatively poor in earlier iterations of my system that now sound wonderful to me.  I imagine "Interstellar" to be in that category as something I would not have appreciated a year or two ago.

• Like 1

SME,

No comparison to TF5 was implied, I was just saying that whatever headroom is made available, Michael Bay will use it, and clip it.

Real Steel was not very good, IMO, film or bass...  the dialogue had reverb in it at times, so much so I had to check I didn't have some kind of 'hall' or 'cathedral' setting mistakenly applied on the AVR.   

JSS

Any plans to measure the Babadook ?

I sure hope so.  I watched the trailer for that, and I swear, I've never been scared so much by bass in my room.  And that was only the trailer with a 2 channel mix on subs that only go to 15-20 Hz.  I have to admit, I'm seriously afraid of that movie messing up my head.

The new Total Recall seems to have some very deep enjoyable bass.  I just watched it last night.  Multiple bass drop sine waves, throbbing deep stuff for the building sized taxi that goes through the center of the earth.  There is a very good sense of audio/bass weight in the movie to the big machinery.

The new Total Recall seems to have some very deep enjoyable bass.  I just watched it last night.  Multiple bass drop sine waves, throbbing deep stuff for the building sized taxi that goes through the center of the earth.  There is a very good sense of audio/bass weight in the movie to the big machinery.

http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/12-the-low-frequency-content-thread-films-games-music-etc/page-20#entry567

That was a great one and your perceptions are spot on. Another one that is just incredible in the deep bass that many people likely miss is Elysium. Watch that bad boy and tell me you don't get some great stuff that registers very low :D

• 2 weeks later...

The Babadook (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 1 Star (100.06dB composite)
Extension - 2 Stars (20Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (31dB)

Execution - 2 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 2.5 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes:  Not a scary movie.  Not a bass movie.  Kinda a cheesy dud.

PvA:

post-17-0-15914600-1429968916.png

Everly (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 5 Stars (113.46dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (8Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.37dB)

Execution - 5 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 5 Stars!!!

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes:  I liked it and thought it was a solid production with good bass that was fairly carefully limited, rarely overreaching.  Not the best film, but solid bass.  Might be the least exciting of the 5 stars, though.

PvA:

post-17-0-19412100-1429969247.png

I finally just finished Interstellar. The sound of clipping was not nearly as bad as TDKR, TF 4, Godzilla, or STID. I can hear the dialog just fine throughout the movie although lower during the really loud score scenes. Reference level viewing was just fine and the bass was almost great. It just lacked some weight like 9 or TIH. It was there but it was drowned out by the really loud 30hz stuff. Overall I thought this was a really good cinematic experience, I felt like I was in that spaceship! If this had louder lower frequencies it would be right up there. The dynamics were very good just not 5 star but considering how loud the movie was it did a pretty good job. One scene made me jump and I was ready for it!

I finally just finished Interstellar. The sound of clipping was not nearly as bad as TDKR, TF 4, Godzilla, or STID. I can hear the dialog just fine throughout the movie although lower during the really loud score scenes. Reference level viewing was just fine and the bass was almost great. It just lacked some weight like 9 or TIH. It was there but it was drowned out by the really loud 30hz stuff. Overall I thought this was a really good cinematic experience, I felt like I was in that spaceship! If this had louder lower frequencies it would be right up there. The dynamics were very good just not 5 star but considering how loud the movie was it did a pretty good job. One scene made me jump and I was ready for it!

I totally agree with feeling like I was in the space ship.  In the wormhole scene, the sense of motion was quite incredible.  I only have a 55" TV at 10 feet away.  I can only imagine what it would be like on a large screen.  I don't think the spectrograms posted on the thread do justice to what the scene is liked.  It just looks like full blast noise centered at 30 and 60 Hz, but it sounded a lot less narrow band and more rhythmic.  I wonder if a spec with a shorter window would reveal more?  If "Interstellar" were released in 2014, I think I may have given it my "best of the year" vote.

Agree with the last two posts! Interstellar was a fantastic HT experience. I didn't even notice the clipping (except maybe in the launch sequence, but it fit right in with the sound effect to me) and certainly nowhere near something like Godzilla. No issues hearing dialog here watching at reference.

The Imax I went to drowned out the vocals and was even louder, my HT experience was actually much better(The bass is always better home).  This movie was loud but it never was harsh and I never noticed the clipping either.  During TF4 and Godzilla I can't stop hearing it.  I have to say as much as I wanted the low end to be as high as the 30hz stuff to feel more weight it probably would have shut down my breaker trying to do so.  I ran the bass 10 dB hot and the rest of the speakers at reference and it was very exciting.  I have to say the Monster AVS 2000 allowed me to play the whole movie hot so it is a keeper as triggered outlets go. 

Hey guys, I need some help understanding how the levels rating relates to sub out voltage.  I compared 2 of the hottest scenes in Avatar http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/12-the-low-frequency-content-thread-films-games-music-etc/?p=2768 and Earth to Echo http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/12-the-low-frequency-content-thread-films-games-music-etc/?p=4883 and this is what the waveform looks like related to voltage levels on the grid which is 500mV per division:

post-1247-0-43101500-1430631959_thumb.jpg

There should be a difference in levels of around 4dB going by the rating but I think the voltage out shows a bigger difference.  I went to a voltage to voltage level calculator like this: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm and when typing in the 2 peak voltages it shows a difference of almost 10dBV. 

I guess I have no idea what the composite levels in dB are related to.  Will someone please help me understand this? 

...And I guess my next question would be why are some mixes leaving so much headroom in the LFE/summed LCR channels?  I wonder if they are taking into account that many consumer playback systems are not setup to leave headroom for a worst case hot mix on the sub out. 

• Like 1

There should be a difference in levels of around 4dB going by the rating but I think the voltage out shows a bigger difference. I went to a voltage to voltage level calculator like this: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm and when typing in the 2 peak voltages it shows a difference of almost 10dBV.

I guess I have no idea what the composite levels in dB are related to. Will someone please help me understand this?

The method for calculating the composite rating is in http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/12-the-low-frequency-content-thread-films-games-music-etc/?p=86

I would think the difference will be that the composite rating considers the whole film not just the most aggressive scenes. I don't see that there would be any difference between a actual voltage based reading and one based on dBFS as long as both are clean and you use an equivalent reference for the max signal.

DareDevil is in the queue.

But I have an announcement: 2012 ended with a BANG. Here's Looper:

LooperTitleBlock_zps04f9ed81.JPG

LooperPvA_zps2e3b8f29.JPG

Looper1_zpsc85c0f9d.JPG

Looper2_zps6e5de6e2.JPG

Looper3_zps7c10163f.JPG

Level - 4 Stars (111.27dB composite)

Extension - 5 Stars (7 Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.49dB)

Execution - 5 Stars - This film has it all, the sub-20Hz stuff was used sparingly and effectively, some great upper bass punch as well. it curiously looks like Underworld:Awakening, with the 28Hz spike in Avg level. I am glad 2012 rebounded with a few excellent MWBs.

Overall - 4.75 Stars!

Recommendation - I say Buy. This is a very unique take on time travel, and it is not just a graphics festival.

JSS

Just watched this tonight - it finally got cheap enough for cheap me to buy ;) lol

Thoroughly agree with the assessment!  Punchy gunshots, very dynamic transients between scenes, some powerful effects digging deep when needed - and it was a good storyline, albeit not super-cheery lol

Definitely one to buy if you haven't already :)