The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Brave got 4 Stars for Execution and is a Buy according to the poll.   Thanks to everyone who voted! 

Cloverfield:

Level - 5 Stars (114.34dB composite!!)

Extension - 4 Stars (15Hz)

Dynamics - 4 Stars (25.51dB)

Execution - 5 Stars - This is a monster film with monster bass.  I cannot stand the shaky-cam, but the LF in this film is very powerful, but doesn't get into single digits.  If anyone thinks this should be a 4 because of the highpass, lemme know.

Overall - 4.5 Stars

Recommendation - Rent.  If you can stand the shaky-cam, BUY.

PvA:

post-20-0-02288500-1393290537_thumb.png

JSS

Percy Jackson and The Olympians:The Lightning Thief

DTSHD-MA Track:

Level - 4 Stars (111.8 dB composite)

Extension - 4 Stars (just above 10Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (27.67dB)

Execution - 5 Stars - This film does not want for anything save for <10Hz.  But the bass that is there is tremendous.

Overall - 4.5 Stars

Recommendation - Buy.

JSS

post-20-0-14049700-1386904831_thumb.jpg

Inception:

Level - 4 Stars (111.61dB)

Extension - 4 Stars (13Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.75dB)

Execution - 4 Stars - Maybe it was on purpose, but the LF use was just 'off' in this film.  There is great use of midbass at times, and this film brings the level, but the sound design is not conventional, esp in the dreamscapes.

Overall - A solid 4.25 Stars

Recommendation - Buy.  Terrific premise, and well done.  A little long for my tastes, but a good film.

post-20-0-41434900-1394210790_thumb.png

All three were bass monsters.  Coming sometime this week:

Halo 4:Forward Unto Dawn

The Haunting

Lord of the Rings:The Fellowship of the Ring BD Extended Edition

I expect good things from all.

Much thanks to Japandave for helping streamline the data processing involved with the PvA graphs!

JSS

Depends on what you mean by 'better'.

By removing 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 octaves of information, you can boost the remaining information by the 5-6dB lfeman stated. Easy, and louder.

It is a choice made at the sound design/sound mixing console, just like mixing with limiters (Immortals), a stronger high pass (Avengers&Battleship), or just pushing the faders up until everything but the LFE channel clips (Tron Legacy).

Then there are the well crafted tracks that use the whole bandwidth (How to Train Your Dragon/9/etc) that do get just as loud as the 'it's all high-passed' films. The best mixes high pass certain effects for high perceived level (Equal Loudness Curves), and use many narrowband effects in different frequency bands as well as the ubiquitous sweep (thanks Ironhide) for heft.

Broadband effects require lots of bandwidth, so designers and mixers have to be creative when trying to replicate them.

JSS

Inception:

Level - 5 Stars (268.2dBHz)

Extension - 4 Stars (11Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (30dB)

Execution - 4 Stars - Maybe it was on purpose, but the LF use was just 'off' in this film.  There is great use of midbass at times, and this film brings the level, but the sound design is not conventional, esp in the dreamscapes.

Overall - A solid 4.5 Stars

Recommendation - Buy.  Terrific premise, and well done.  A little long for my tastes, but a good film.

MaxRMS 117.9dB
LeqZ 94.9dB
MaxPeak 124.3dB

Inception is, to my ears, one of the worst LFE tracks I have heard. The whole sub 80hz audio has a very distorted signature. perhaps its just me, but, I would give it a 1 or max 2 in the Execution category. Unless I misunderstood what that part is...