The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Thanks guys!

Once the tutorial is up,many will be able to contribute waterfalls for each film.

Dave,

I generate an Excel file for every film/track, I have one file with per octave data for each film for the max min and dynamics comparos, and one large file to generate PvA comparison graphs from.

Steveo,

I do see what you mean, but after measuring so many films, I can literally tell you what the graph will look like after watching it (I can't watch w/sound and record data at the same time), so it is hard not to comment on how quiet The Amazing Spider-Man was in the execution category, knowing that the graph would look 'turned down'. Same thing in Thor and Avengers. Very easy to hear the high pass......

I am Number Four tonight....

JSS

Also, little by little I will add LeqZ and RMS Peak as well as Overall Peak LF levels for each film, and add these numbers to the DataBass for comparisons.  Some that received lower 'Level' readings in dBHz have some surprising readings....which makes for some peace of mind for some films that have very broadband effects that may be loud SPL-wise, but are too broad to show up as very high in the dB-Hz 'Level' category.  Eventually, there may be separate SPL and dBHz Level and Dynamics categories....

JSS

PS - The difference between peak and RMS Peak levels is the following: A '115dB' sinewave has 115dB RMS SPL, but has 118dB overall peak levels, that are at the highest and lowest amplitude parts.  So when The Dark Knight Rises shows a 120dB RMS peak, it has 125+dB Overall peak content.  Please consult the REW User Manual under 'SPL Meter' for further clarification. 

Drive:

Level - 4 Stars (110.24dB composite)

Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (31.95dB)

Execution - 4 Stars - Very good, VERY good, especially the use of dynamics, but not reaching the level of a 5-Star, IMO.

Overall - 4.5 Stars 

Recommendation - BUY.  This is a great film.

Attached - A Challenge for all of the ULF capable - In the end credits. 

JSS

post-20-0-81391700-1390042404_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-83100300-1390043573_thumb.jpg

Battleship:

Level - 4 Stars (112.2dB)

Extension - 1 Star (32Hz)

Dynamics - 4 Stars (26.57dB)

Execution - 3 Stars - minus two stars for the 24dB 24dB/ocatave shelf filter startingat 40Hz.   

Overall - 3 Stars.

Recommendation - Rent.  The visuals on this film are so tremendous, that the soundtrack is an even bigger disappointment. The plot is trash, the acting and script are a reach at best, but they really made some menacing looking enemy warships and weapons, that could have used the ULF that was gutted out of this release. 

See the attached Original vs BEQ version, now a Full 5-Star film.

JSS

post-20-0-70815100-1372984775_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-99752700-1373090879_thumb.jpg

All channels from 250hz and down.

Excellent,thanks for info.

Was curious due to the upcoming test of the movie "Pulse" since it has some nice bass in the L-C-R-S channels that would have gone missing if only meassuring of the .1 channel,now i can relax : )

My wife and I loved Drive, .. and without giving anything away for those having yet to see it, there is some temendously well crafted tension, punctuated with some kick-ass dynamics. Yep, it's a good one.

Agreed.

Tremendous film, best use of dynamics since Gran Torino, IMO.  

JSS

Daredevil (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level - 3 Stars (109.45dB composite)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.52dB)
Execution - 5 Stars - This film's LF is done very well especially for 2003, and is not wanting for anything, save for a touch higher level to be in the very upper crust. I could just as easily give this film a 4.

Overall - 4.5 Stars

DareDevil.thumb.jpg.0da31e0d6d0d9a68fe36d397ea287bc9.jpg
Recommendation - Rent if you do not already own. Although the LF is terrific, and it has a decent storyline, the CG in this film is terribly dated when daredevil is doing his acrobatics. The 'sonar sense' scenes are still great, IMO.

JSS

BraveTB_zps4e48b3fe.JPG

BravePvA_zpsdd790867.JPG

BraveSL1_zpsce5e4dd1.JPG

BraveSL2_zps3514ad6b.JPG

BraveSL3_zps9989642c.JPG

BraveSL4_zpsed94bed8.JPG

Brave

Level - 4 Stars (111.96dB)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (32.93dB)

Execution - EDIT: 4 Stars by Poll, + see the comments below (Thanks!) - I did not see that film, too busy making sawdust.  I would really appreciate others chiming in on this one.

Overall - 4.5 Stars

Recommendation - Buy, per poll.

PvA:

post-17-0-56544600-1395695180_thumb.png

JSS

Brave:

Execution - TBA - I did not see that film, too busy making sawdust.  I would really appreciate others chiming in on this one.

Overall - TBA

Recommendation - TBA

JSS

Execution:

Very well executed soundtrack in all aspects.

Clarity in dialogs,correctly implemented surround effects and ''heavy duty'' scenes.Although i cannot tell exactly wich ones are going infrasonic due to my system's responce(15'' b&w,incapable of doing under 23Hz) there must not be any problem ''down there'' given the quality of the rest soundtrack.

Overall:IMHO a 4.25 would be adequate.

Recommendation:

Buy if you are a cartoonish type of guy(I am :P ) or have kids under 12.

Rent if in all other categories.Ok,not on par with Toy Stories or HTTYD in overall execution,artistic included,but picture quality is top notch and could be used as a demo in high quality home theatre systems.

And due to the p.q. i am most curious to see it in a friend's 3d projector.

Edited by gstriftos