The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

MKT,

I'll take a look and add it to the measurements post if it's any good.  If you or anyone else has other suggestions, I'll look at graphing those as well.

tux,

Your comment just reminded me that I wanted to mention that we're not really reviewers.  I see a lot of references on AVS made to the "Data-Bass review of so-and-so movie" and I hope those people realize we're measuring, not reviewing.

saving a place for:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1:

Level - 3 Stars (108.95dB composite)

Extension - 3 Stars (16Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (32.52dB)

Execution - TBD

Overall - TBD

Recommendation - TBD

I just wasn't drawn to the last two films as much as I was to the earlier ones.  It is nice that the Avg graph digs deeper than the peak.  

JSS

post-20-0-70008200-1387499595_thumb.jpg

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2:

Level - 4 Stars (110.38dB composite)

Extension - 4 Stars (14Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.3dB)

Execution - TBD

Overall - TBD

Recommendation - TBD

I like the fact that the average graph digs deeper than the peak.  That means most lower level and broadband effects do dig deep.  I didn't enjoy the last two films as much as the 2nd, 4th and 5th films.

post-20-0-62129200-1387499851_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Insidious Chapter 2 (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 2 Stars (106dB composite)
Extension - 4 Stars (11Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (33.56dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.75 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes:  Will update if I ever watch it.

PvA:

post-17-0-16402800-1388604854_thumb.png

Don Jon (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (110.83dB composite)
Extension - 2 Stars (22Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (31.47dB)
Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.75 Stars

Notes:   Don Jon really surprised me.  Gary Rizzo did an excellent job with this mix, leaving very little on the table.  The most prominent bass takes place in the club scenes - hence the peaks at 25, 36 and 46Hz - but it's really good.  It's punchy and dynamic and generally used appropriately.  The film makes great use of effects and surrounds to really envelop the listener, and uses the surrounds in every scene you'd expect it.  This mix is better than a lot of big budget action flicks, to be honest.

This isn't a typical romcom - your gf/wife prolly won't like it.  I didn't care for the movie either, but the exceptional mix made it worthwhile.  This mix reminds me a LOT of the quality and clarity of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.  Besides the high -10dB point, it's hard to find any fault with this mix.

PvA:

post-17-0-54492900-1389022800_thumb.png

Thanks nube. I might buy wolverine based on this. Was on the fence, but it seems if you get a film without a filter its rare these days. It'll be a blind buy as I haven't seen it. But I've been a wolverine fan since I was a kid. And I've heard this one was quite good.

Finally got around to buying and watching this. I'm always way slower than you guys. The bass in this really was low and fairly well done too. The opening scene with the bomb was quite amazing. Unfortunately my system couldn't reproduce it well. There's just so much low bass that it struggled. That's a good sign! (Any chance of a scenecap on that explosion? Would be nice to see what my system was struggling with) The bass fit really nicely into the rest of the movie as well. No stupidly bassy effects put there just to impress (causing just the opposite). Other than the opening scene, the bass was "just there" exactly how I like it. Natural. Punchy when it should be. Rumbly when it should be. And deeeeeeeep.

The movie itself was only ok. Had some fun action. I think I'll enjoy it more a second time actually, but it had some storyline gimmicks and cheesy moments. Meh, what do I expect from a movie like this. I also wished it could have been more R rated. There were a few action scenes where I wanted to see Logan shred the bad guys into flesh ribbons. Instead, you just see the bad guy collapse into his claws just off screen with a dissapointing lack of blood.

Closed Circuit (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 1 Stars (104.71dB composite)
Extension - 1 Stars (31Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.92dB)
Execution - 2 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 2.25 Stars

Notes: Will update if/when I watch it.

PvA:

post-17-0-64793100-1389132639_thumb.png

Runner Runner (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 1 Stars (101.53dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.58dB)
Execution - 2 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.25 Stars

Notes:  This one isn't a bass movie, but has some weird out of place 1-5Hz noise in three or four places that doesn't seem to correspond with anything else happening on screen.  That means it kinda cheats to get that 5 Stars extension rating.  Supremely low levels in this mix.  Will update if I watch the whole thing.

PvA:

post-17-0-85783100-1389132758_thumb.png

tuxedocivic,

A few people over at AVS requested the same thing, so I graphed the ~50s of that explosion and added it to the measurements post for The Wolverine.  It's good, but the OHF Washington Monument scene destroys it in terms of intensity and extension.  Be careful with that scene!

Thanks so much nube. I'm surprised most of the intensity is centered on 30hz. I see some blobs down at 20hz and down though. It was probably the duration and bandwidth that did it to my system. It was also more the lack of power in my system. I think my amp was running out of juice. I only have about 500 watts to share among 6 drivers. So they eat up the power as fast as the amp can provide it. Needless to say, I've been thinking about an amp purchase for the last few days ever since I watched that scene.

Thanks again.

Cool, thank you! :)

Gary Rizzo was sound re-recording mixer on the Lorax and I like the overall presentation, although I don't think it goes that deep, and Randy Thom was sound designer / sound re-recording mixer on Bolt, which does have a pretty bass-heavy opening 10 minutes if nothing else!

The Golden Compass:

Level - 4 Stars (110.65dB)

Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (31.18dB)

Execution - 5 Stars (by poll)

Overall - 4.75 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

TheGoldenCompass.thumb.jpg.fc822b1426c01a17291fb17491f15b89.jpg

This film has a terrific soundtrack, too bad they couldn't make any sequels....Look at the sweep (attached)

post-20-0-48580700-1389478406_thumb.jpg

JSS