The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

The Croods (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (107.5dB composite)

Extension - 3 Stars (16Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.3dB)

Execution - Will Poll

Recommendation - Will Poll

Notes:  I expected more from Randy Thom.  This one had lots of opportunities for great ULF, but quite literally contained none.  There was no obvious clipping that I could detect upon watching.  Decent movie, and at least it had as much bass as it did, given the recent spate of HPFs @ 30Hz coupled with clipped content in the loudness wars.  I'd say pick it up if you have kids in the 8-13 age range, otherwise rent.

PvA:

attachicon.gifTC-PvA.PNG

Yep, just as I suspected. I watched this with great anticipation, even though I didn't know too much about the movie. Disappointed to say the least.

Kon-Tiki (Norwegian 5.1 DTS-MA)

Level - 5 Stars (112.79dB)

Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)

Dynamics - 4 Stars (25.6dB)

Execution - 4 Stars.  Some very heavy handed use of ULF at times, but no filtering.  Some clipping, but mostly a very clean presentation, that uses THE ENTIRE LFE bandwidth.  See below for the lowest hit, and the loudest hit.  Pay attention to the signal graph on the right for each.

Overall - 4.5 Stars

Recommendation - Buy

I remember in 4th or 5th grade when I had just finished reading Journey to the Center of the Earth and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.  I was talking to my father about them, and then he said: "you are ready."  He handed me his old, brown-on-the-paper-edges paperback copy of Kon-Tiki and said: "those were made up; this story is real".  Thor Heyerdahl was one of his personal heroes.  You simply could not undertake a voyage like that in our times without having someone track your every move.  These guys were out there alone, only a short-wave to make contact with.  He also undertook some other pretty daring voyages afterwards... 

JSS

post-20-0-74327700-1380764728_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-95015900-1380764737_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-94663800-1380764747_thumb.jpg

Kon Tiki is a FANTASTIC film. 

Next time I'll turn on the sub.....

Definitely watch again with your sub on! :o Great to see the measurements back up my subjective experience the other night. I was VERY impressed with the low end in this film and sound in general actually. The bass/LFE feels like its own character in this one and really helps pull the viewer into the various scenes. The storm sequence is incredible!

Is it possible to get the Norwegian version in the US w/ English subs?

JSS

Yes, but you will have to make it yourself.

By adding the English subtitles from the English version, to the Norwegian 7.1 version, of course this will only work if the versions are similar part from the audio and subtitles. 

Not likely that anyone would go through that much trouble just to get the 7.1 soundtrack.

I checked my Norwegian version now, and find that there are no English subtitles.

I also had no idea that the other versions would have a 5.1 soundtrack.

Well, the media business never disappoints when it comes to finding new ways to fail and destroy excellent products, so I guess it should not come as a big surprise that they managed to screw it up. 

From what I read in here I find it likely that the 5.1 soundtrack is still very good, and it is likely that it is encoded in Pro-logic and then you will not miss anything significant.

The Frozen Ground (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 1 Star (104dB composite)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.3dB)
Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     -  3.5 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes:  Yep, it's a Nick Cage movie.  And, yeah, it's really low level for some reason.  However, this thing has tons of legit ULF content, plus no clipping!  Great use of the LFE bandwidth in this, with lots of very innovative and non-repetitive bass effects and sweeps.  The Frozen Ground doesn't contain huge effects, just immense amounts of super deep bass throughout.  This one ain't for ported subs - if you don't have a lot of sealed sub displacement and relatively low signal chain roll off, you won't think this movie is special.  The low level reminds me a bit of The Spider-man - content's there, just gotta turn it up a bit.  The sound design isn't the best, but the bass is quite well done.

PvA:

post-17-0-21596900-1381159316_thumb.png

After Earth (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (111.1dB composite)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (32.33dB !!!)
Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4.5 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes:  We have a contender for 2013 ULF Film of the Year!  This one has tons of content below 20Hz (mostly in the first half of the movie), with some of it pretty hot!  There's almost no clipping; I did find one small section when scrolling through the various channels, but never heard it in playback. 

This movie's bass is a little deceptive because its mix doesn't contain any HUGE effects aside from the end of the asteroid storm scene, but I felt like the LFE was generally employed quite well.  There is a lot of very low level ULF early on that's used specifically to create tension.  It was definitely the kind of mix that blended well with what was happening on-screen.

The movie isn't as bad as its IMDb rating, but it's still pretty bad, and the ending is one of the worst I think I've ever seen in any movie.  Definitely rental fodder.

PvA:

post-17-0-17645400-1381252410_thumb.png

SpecLab graphs - timestamps contained in the file names:

post-17-0-38930800-1381252495_thumb.png

post-17-0-26478000-1381252586_thumb.png

post-17-0-96978900-1381252621_thumb.png

post-17-0-87013300-1381252683_thumb.png

post-17-0-15886400-1381252700_thumb.png

Wow.  It will be between Oblivion, Kon-Tiki, and this one for LFE of the year, unless MoS or PacRim can deliver....we'll have an end-of-year poll....

Priest and Jumper will be up soon as well, and I will put up some new films for polling.

JSS

Let's not leave Olympus Has Fallen out of the mix!

I don't know if I'd put After Earth in the same category as B:LA, either as a bass movie or as a movie overall. AE was just a gawdawful movie, IMO. B:LA was mindless, but entertaining. Also, many more bass scenes than AE which, after the ship crashing about 1/2 hour into the movie, has just one other short scene I can remember with notable bass. Just my opinion, of course.