The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Got a chance to see Bullet to the Head. Decent but not great film, the intro was surprising, and there was almost too much 18-24Hz LFE. Not that I minded (my couch has a resonance there, so it is very tactile), but when a gunshot and a punch move my couch just as much, it feels kind of 'off'.....I would give it 4 Stars when I vote.

Serenity is in a close race!

JSS

Got a chance to see Bullet to the Head. Decent but not great film, the intro was surprising, and there was almost too much 18-24Hz LFE. Not that I minded (my couch has a resonance there, so it is very tactile), but when a gunshot and a punch move my couch just as much, it feels kind of 'off'.....I would give it 4 Stars when I vote.

Serenity is in a close race!

JSS

Decent, not great is about right. I don't have excessively high hopes for a Stallone flick, and this is about the max of his talent, IMO. So maybe that affected me liking it and I didn't feel it was a waste of time. What did you think about the music, up front in the mix and used during transitional scene-to-scene segues?  

If an effect needed lots of juice, they simply threw in the 18-22Hz rumble, rinse, repeat. I'm not saying I didn't like it (pretty good film, good soundtrack, great bass, but no 5-Star), but it got repetitive. Unfortunately, I cannot comment on the <10Hz stuff, so my opinion is biased. Can't wait to build some better LCRS and subs...in general, it is as if the sound team simply moved the 20Hz slider up 9dB....

The similarities to Die Hard are staggering, down to the protagonist pulling glass out of himself at one point. I kept waiting for 'Hans' to say "blow the roof".....but instead, Kang (sp?) blew up the BlackHawk. If Gerard would have said yippee-kai-yay, it would not have been too out of place....

Films that get 5 Stars from me are ones that I glance across the BluRay shelf and when I get to them, I say "Hell Yeah" in my head......

JSS

Monsters, Inc.

Level - 3 Stars (109.8dB composite)

Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.18dB)

Execution - 4 Stars by Poll

Overall - 4.25 Stars

Recommendation - BUY

This is a very well executed film, and has great dynamics.  The Extension is due to one scene which has a ULF peak at around the 21 min mark, so it kinda 'steals' a few stars there.

JSS

post-20-0-70273400-1377374371_thumb.jpg

Monsters, Inc. is a classic.  That scene in the apartment with the choppers buzzing over is included on sub demo discs for a good reason.  It's not super low, but it's fun! 

It's hilarious that the movie totally does "steal" a few stars for extension.  The PvA is pretty mediocre, otherwise.  Yet, I think the movie is really fun and uses the LFE to generally good effect.  I'd vote 4 stars execution.

Epic (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Level        - 1 Star (102.4dB composite)

Extension - 3 Stars (18Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.18dB)

Execution - 3 Stars

Overall     - 3 Stars

Recommendation - Maybe rent if you have kids.

While the overall mix is probably OK for the intended audience of adolescent girls, its level is unquestionably low, and that sharp 23Hz HPF is disappointing.  As a result of the low levels, it kinda steals a 5 star rating for dynamics.  Randy Thom generally creates more bombastic tracks than this, so I'm wondering if his hands were tied by the producers.  Definitely not an "Epic" bass movie.

PvA:

post-17-0-63997900-1377713558_thumb.png

The Hurt Locker:

Level - 4 Stars (111.53)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (32.08dB)

Execution - 5 Stars

Overall - 4.75 Stars. This title just missed full 5-Star status because while the bass scenes were immense, there was a lot of quiet between them, making the dynamics huge. A full 5-Star film needs just a little more quantity, but make no mistake, 4.75 Stars on this scale is a very impressive presentation. The scale was created so that very few could reach 5 Stars.

Recommendation - Buy

This is a great film, and tremendous soundtrack. The LCRS don't clip as badly as the LFE channel. It may have been intentional, though.

JSS

Scenecaps:

.50 Cal scene:

post-20-0-60072600-1377907384_thumb.jpg

Loudest scene in the film, peaks at 124.7dB: (around 1:27:50)

post-20-0-93733800-1377907390_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-42642900-1377730390_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-20343900-1377730427_thumb.png

The Hurt Locker:

Level - 4 Stars (111.53)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (32.08dB)

Execution - Will poll, my vote is 5 Stars, even though it clips (see attached).

Recommendation - By Poll

This is a great film, and tremendous soundtrack.  The LCRS don't clip as badly as the LFE channel.  It may have been intentional, though.

JSS

Ohh HL that .50 cal scene is nice : )

Max whats with the 33Hz peak on the chart?

// Nicke