The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Hey Nube,

Remember you asked me why my graphs were rolling off at 7hz?  Well, I just figured out it was the processor.  I have a new one hooked and I am lower than ever and guess what, I felt it first!  I played a movie I am familiar with and had the bass 3 dBs hot and it had much more bass than the previous processor and about the same when running that 10 dBs hot.  Well, it extends to 2hz!  I will post up some graphs.  Maybe my speclab stuff won't be so bad anymore, we will see.

What processor are you using now? IIRC you were using a Meridian something-or-other most recently.

My Ada was rolled off at 5hz and the Meridian rolls off at 7 hz. This new( I am still demoing and tweaking) receiver shows output to 2hz. I still need to flatten it from 20-80hz(couple peaks). It is the brand new SR 8100 from Sherbourn and it kills my pioneer elite SC-37 so far. I still have to A/b with my separates as they are still hooked as well, just need to switch the speaker cables from the AVR to the amp and done. The Auto EQ sounds really good and the only bad is so far is the volume has no defined level for reference so I have to measure a dialog scene and make sure I matches the separates.

Max,

I instantly noticed their was much fuller or more weight to the bass and the pressure was built up faster.

EDIT: OK, here we go again with this bullshit forum. The pics showed in the composing, then disappeared when I posted it.

I'll just say Phantom is a good flick with great low end. 

I've been checking in and this forum has been stuck on page 56 (for me) since the 3rd of July. I thought the place was abandoned. 

Later...

I had Phantom in my hand last night, read on the back something like it was direct to video release. Skeptically, brought my phone up and discreetly spoke "Phantom" into my Google search bar, and quickly read a couple things and decided not to get it for a variety of reasons including a "low" budget of 18mil  :o

I'll reconsider, I appreciate the heads up.     

Good to know about Pacific Rim, I would bet 20Hz highpass given the presentation I saw in theaters.  Sounded an awful lot like Thor, but I hope I am wrong.  Phantom at the top of the queue.  I like submarine films.  Nothing like the tension that can be created knowing a torpedo is headed your way, and you have a few minutes to think about it....

JSS

PS - Holy crap, this thread has 51k views!

Dave, what's your SL offset at?  That movie really has bass which is frequently coming close to 0dB on the scale?!?  Yikes.

It's not the SL offset. I just haven't completely fine-tuned the system since getting rid of the AVR and just using the Oppo flagship player as a pre/pro. So, the calibration is prob a few dB hot. The Oppo volume is 0-100. There's no '0'dB setting, so it depends on how you calibrate as to what 100 actually is. I roughly set 90 to be '0', but haven't had the time to actually confirm that calibration.

EDIT: OK, make that probably 6-8dB hot.  ;)

Remember, I mic at the LP and my system is -3dB @ 4 Hz, so there's prob lower stuff I'm not playing back.

But, I know when there's enough <10 Hz because the floor (which has a resonant freq around 6 Hz) ripples. That 1st cap when the Captain is forced to put the sub within 5M of the tankers screws is truly awesome. The sense of impending disaster is as good as it gets.

I watched that scene in the bedroom system (good to high 20s Hz at nowhere near RL) and then in the theater at approx RL and it's like watching a completely different movie.

A Good Day to Die Hard is up for voting for Execution and Recommendation.  Vote!

JSS

I like Bruce. I like the franchise. Lots of folks don't because of how over-the-top the plots are, but I see lots of jabs at the establishment that they can slip in just because it is so over the top. 

The low end is largely missing in action in this one. The scene where the truck is driven into the building has some ULF but that's it, as it played in my HT. Anyone have caps?

I just got to the bottom of the posting problem. Apparently, Photobucket has placed bandwidth limits on their free accounts. None of my pics are available to view because I've exceeded 10 Gigs of bandwidth!!! Since I only post the PB pics here, that means a LOT of people are viewing them. Currently, I have around 120 megs of photos stored at PB. To exceed their free 10G BW, every single posted pic, 180 of them, would have had to be viewed 83 times this month. That's 15,000 views in July.

I'm open to suggestions as to where we can archive/host the pics. 

Dave,

I didn't realize all your latest graphs are mic'd at the LP.  I thought you were still graphing some from the output of your signal chain.  Good to know.

I find the Die Hard series to be somewhat entertaining, but nothing great.  I posted SL graphs on the previous page at http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/12-the-low-frequency-content-thread-films-games-music-etc/?p=1416.  There was pretty decent low end in the heavy action scenes, but I thought that action was a little more sparse than previous ones in the series.

As for options to host the photos, AVS is now allowing uploads without posting on their site, and also allows you to post those hosted photos on other sites.  Who knows how much they'll be willing to host, but a few of my pics have seen a few hundred views and I haven't heard a peep outta them.

Just catching up on this thread. I really enjoyed DH5. Thought it was awesome.

I voted rent if basing it on bass. But I'll be buying.

I voted 3 stars for execution. I found the action never gave me bass. I hate movies that have pounding bass during quite but tense scenes. This had that. But then when the action broke, the bass was sorted light IMO. I dunno, maybe 4x12" isn't cutting it.

Bullet to the head was really fun. I'm not sure there's much <20hz but the bass was fun. The bass was in the action where it should be. The score was great to. I really enjoyed the movie. The plot was as thin as piss, but hey, I'm a sucker for Sly and for gritty action movies. This one has a lot of gun fire and I don't bore of that easily. Despite the thin plot there were still plenty of surprises, that usually came in the form of a bullet to the head. If someone caps it, I don't think we'll be wowed, but I wouldn't let all the bad reviews steer you away from this one if you're an action junky like me.

Wow, two movies in one weekend I really enjoyed I didn't think I would based on reviews. Maybe I have bad taste :D

Bosso, thanks for submitting the Phantom graphs, good stuff.  

You're spot on wrt the tension and effects associated with such flicks. Ever since I was a kid, and "Run Silent, Run Deep", I've loved these types of releases.

-----

Point of clarification;

I know Dave mics from his LP, impressively so, but these submitted graphs here aren't executed that way are they? We can't establish an archivied "data-base" of spectral content of releases and include the LF decay characteristics of any of our rooms. So I'd have to guess these are obtained electronically, as opposed to acoustically.    

Maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks

Bullet to the head was really fun. I'm not sure there's much <20hz but the bass was fun. The bass was in the action where it should be. The score was great to. I really enjoyed the movie. 

I felt the same way, killer score/genre of music.

We too are action junkies, but this one was just well done. Without the overly long/droning LF, just right I thought. But for me, the transitional use of the music from scene to scene was right up my alley.

We crave much more in depth character development, ala Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, Homeland, etc., but those are world class efforts in that regard. For us, with two teens, this is movie watching season right now. Prior to school resuming, we're pouring thru whatever we can voraciously. It's nice that we all dig similar stuff, and they're old enough to handle the mature/violent content that the primary system is tailored for. 

The kids missed Sopranos the first time thru, so we just began working our way thru the series.  

Looking forward to Phantom, when possible.   

A personal favorite of mine:

Attack the Block:

Level - 3 Stars (109.29dB composite)

Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (31.32dB!!!)

Execution - 5 Stars from me, will poll.  This film has some soft limiting in place, not nearly as hard as the limiting in Immortals.  But the Dynamics, innovative storyline, and just a good have fun and laugh film.  Think 'Goonies in South London'....

Overall - 4.5 Stars, but may change with Polling.

Recommendation - BUY.  I love this film.

JSS

post-20-0-80102500-1375029408_thumb.jpg

Phantom definitely had some low frequency punch.  The scene at around 1:24.00 definitely had the room shaking.  I loved the way the low frequency and surrounds really draw you into the movie.  The movie itself I thought was also very good.  I'm surprised I never heard of it before.

Bullet to the head definitely has some infrasonic moments, to the teens I would say for sure.  The movie itself was your typical Stallone film.  Lots of fun but not much substance.

Guys, the reason I'm thinking the graphs Dave produces are not line level, but, instead, from the mic'd response at his LP, is because he's repeatedly said this:

Remember, I mic at the LP and my system is -3dB @ 4 Hz, so there's prob lower stuff I'm not playing back.

With that sort of response, it likely doesn't matter much, but I guess it depends on a variety of other factors.  I thought there was  a pretty decent amount of ULF in AGDTDH based on my digital SL caps direct from the disc.  Reasonable minds can disagree.  :)